Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is long, but I want to give a background on things. I am so puzzled as to what has happened...

Just hatched my first batch of chicks ever. Thanks to Sally Sunshines' excellent instructions we built a cooler bator. I used eggs from my own chickens and incubated in the cooler bator. I got a bit ambitious and so started a second batch in the cooler bator before the first was hatched. I used a styrofoam Hova Bator (still air) for the hatch. I moved them to the hatcher day 18. At lockdown 28 eggs out of 33 (only two went bad--the rest were infertile) were doing well. I saw movement in all. I had high hopes for a good hatch. They were at the right weight loss percentage so I was able to keep the humidity right. In the hatcher I was able to get the humidity to 70% for lockdown...not sure about the temp. Day 18 & 19, temp was 99.5-100. Day 19 I saw 3 pips and was super excited. Then there was nothing for 24 hours. No worries...I had read the hatching 101 link multiple times so I didn't worry or disturb the eggs. Finally the following evening (day 20) some chicks started to hatch. I think I got 6 chicks that night. Anyways, all seemed to be going well. But then things slowed down and so far (day 23) I have had 14 chicks hatch. Two had something wrong with their leg(s) One could hobble around, but couldn't' put it's foot down. It stuck out to the side. The other one was the same except that both feet were out the side (and it wasn't a spraddle leg problem (had one of those too)) The ankles were thick and would not bend. I euthanized both. Then there was one chick that pipped and zipped 3/4 of the way, but then got stuck because of me opening the bator to get chicks. I know, I know, you're not supposed to do that for several days. The problem was that the chicks in the hatcher were hot so then I'd turn the temp down and it got too low...like 95.5/96 or so. If I turned it up then they would pant and looked obviously distressed. So I risked it. I did mist warm water when I opened the hatcher to keep up the humidity. Anyways, I decided to help this chick since it was pushing and trying hard to get out...and was peeping very loudly. I wet a q-tip and loosened the membrane so that it was not stuck and then put the egg on a warm & wet paper towel back in the hatcher. After 12 or more hours and no more zipping or any progress of any kind (and the membrane was loose!) I slowly pulled back the shell and some membrane. I left it for a couple more hours as it looked like it should just be able to push out super easily, but it just couldn't do it for some reason. Eventually I pulled the top off the egg and the chick came out immediately with a nice strong neck and was walking around very soon. It'd obviously been more than ready to come out and I was glad I helped it. So then another chick pips later on and sits there for over 24 hours as well. It had only zipped 1/4 of the way, but couldn't seem to keep zipping. It was banging the egg shell in the same spot and peeping away. So after a while I helped this one get out too. This chick wasn't as strong, but you could tell that it was more than ready. There were absolutely no blood vessels anywhere. Yolk had been completely absorbed and it had pooped in the egg as well. But it's not doing quite as well. I can't figure out what, or if anything is wrong with it. I will continue to observe. The third chick also pipped yesterday early in the day and after 24 + hrs of a just a pip hole I decided to help it too. This one was also ready, but wasn't zipping. I don't know what is wrong with these late hatchers, but they just can't seem to zip. The last one is not doing well---it can only sit on it's haunches and I think it may have the thick ankle problem the other two did. To add to all this, there is another egg out of the 14 left that pipped. I honestly don't want to see anymore eggs pip because at this point they just seem to get stuck... I haven't had a chance to candle any yet or to do a float test or "eggtopsy" so i can't give any more details yet.

Can someone tell me what their guess is as to what went wrong??? Also, so far none have hatched with unabsorbed yoke or any mushy chick type problems so I don't think they're trying to come out too early.

I'd really like to figure out what went wrong because I want to hatch some eggs from another person that are important to me. I don't want to go thru this again. It's like having a new baby! I was up so much the last several nights checking on the chicks and helping stuck chicks. :/

I'm having some difficulty finding some explanation for "lockdown" . I'm think I'm getting the process down and I've read a lot of the articles in the learning center.
I wanted the grandkids to see eggs hatching so we bought a little giant a couple years ago, bought some eggs, and had pretty good success. Must have been beginners luck. We've hatched eggs since then, mostly catalog eggs. We just took out the hatched chicks and put them into a kiddy pool with a brood light. This year I found this site when I was ordering parts for the little giant. I decided to make my own (inspired by the DIY ones on here). I don't do things the small way so the one I'm making has two turners. I made room for a hatcher on one end but I don't know the purpose of it.
We started out using our own eggs before the little giant went south and some hens are setting, we've gotten 8 so far. I'm going to sneak in and candle tonight. So... Can I get some info about lockdown and the purpose of a hatcher?
PS. We've done turkeys too.
PS S sorry for being so verbose but I tend to ramble.

Sally Sunshine has the best tutorials I have seen.... check out the links she provides......

This morning. I was thinking the same, as I added a bit of water, thought one of the 3 looked a little darker, like the others that have developed more. Of course, one is so thick, can't even see light thru, except air cell and that's difficult. I will hold on, in hopes they surprise me.;)

Out of the 3 ameracauna eggs, one hatched, the other 2 were clear. One, I cracked before lockdown and confirmed. The other, a few days after everyone else hatched. I never saw anything in any of them. But this last egg was darker than my maran eggs and could not even see an air cell. What a pleasant surprise to have that one hatch. All the others were like popcorn.

This is long, but I want to give a background on things. I am so puzzled as to what has happened...

Just hatched my first batch of chicks ever. Thanks to Sally Sunshines' excellent instructions we built a cooler bator. I used eggs from my own chickens and incubated in the cooler bator. I got a bit ambitious and so started a second batch in the cooler bator before the first was hatched. I used a styrofoam Hova Bator (still air) for the hatch. I moved them to the hatcher day 18. At lockdown 28 eggs out of 33 (only two went bad--the rest were infertile) were doing well. I saw movement in all. I had high hopes for a good hatch. They were at the right weight loss percentage so I was able to keep the humidity right. In the hatcher I was able to get the humidity to 70% for lockdown...not sure about the temp. Day 18 & 19, temp was 99.5-100. Day 19 I saw 3 pips and was super excited. Then there was nothing for 24 hours. No worries...I had read the hatching 101 link multiple times so I didn't worry or disturb the eggs. Finally the following evening (day 20) some chicks started to hatch. I think I got 6 chicks that night. Anyways, all seemed to be going well. But then things slowed down and so far (day 23) I have had 14 chicks hatch. Two had something wrong with their leg(s) One could hobble around, but couldn't' put it's foot down. It stuck out to the side. The other one was the same except that both feet were out the side (and it wasn't a spraddle leg problem (had one of those too)) The ankles were thick and would not bend. I euthanized both. Then there was one chick that pipped and zipped 3/4 of the way, but then got stuck because of me opening the bator to get chicks. I know, I know, you're not supposed to do that for several days. The problem was that the chicks in the hatcher were hot so then I'd turn the temp down and it got too low...like 95.5/96 or so. If I turned it up then they would pant and looked obviously distressed. So I risked it. I did mist warm water when I opened the hatcher to keep up the humidity. Anyways, I decided to help this chick since it was pushing and trying hard to get out...and was peeping very loudly. I wet a q-tip and loosened the membrane so that it was not stuck and then put the egg on a warm & wet paper towel back in the hatcher. After 12 or more hours and no more zipping or any progress of any kind (and the membrane was loose!) I slowly pulled back the shell and some membrane. I left it for a couple more hours as it looked like it should just be able to push out super easily, but it just couldn't do it for some reason. Eventually I pulled the top off the egg and the chick came out immediately with a nice strong neck and was walking around very soon. It'd obviously been more than ready to come out and I was glad I helped it. So then another chick pips later on and sits there for over 24 hours as well. It had only zipped 1/4 of the way, but couldn't seem to keep zipping. It was banging the egg shell in the same spot and peeping away. So after a while I helped this one get out too. This chick wasn't as strong, but you could tell that it was more than ready. There were absolutely no blood vessels anywhere. Yolk had been completely absorbed and it had pooped in the egg as well. But it's not doing quite as well. I can't figure out what, or if anything is wrong with it. I will continue to observe. The third chick also pipped yesterday early in the day and after 24 + hrs of a just a pip hole I decided to help it too. This one was also ready, but wasn't zipping. I don't know what is wrong with these late hatchers, but they just can't seem to zip. The last one is not doing well---it can only sit on it's haunches and I think it may have the thick ankle problem the other two did.  To add to all this, there is another egg out of the 14 left that pipped. I honestly don't want to see anymore eggs pip because at this point they just seem to get stuck... I haven't had a chance to candle any yet or to do a float test or "eggtopsy" so i can't give any more details yet. 

Can someone tell me what their guess is as to what went wrong??? Also, so far none have hatched with unabsorbed yoke or any mushy chick type problems so I don't think they're trying to come out too early. 

I'd really like to figure out what went wrong because I want to hatch some eggs from another person that are important to me. I don't want to go thru this again. It's like having a new baby! I was up so much the last several nights checking on the chicks and helping stuck chicks. :/

Leg deformities can be caused by fluctuations in brooder temperature. They can also be genetic or due to vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Because you had various deformities I would say temperature fluctuations were the cause. This also could in some way have led to difficulties after pipping but I'm only guessing.

Leg deformities can be caused by fluctuations in brooder temperature. They can also be genetic or due to vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Because you had various deformities I would say temperature fluctuations were the cause. This also could in some way have led to difficulties after pipping but I'm only guessing.
my guess is your temps were low through the hatch

I've got a rough batch of shipped eggs on day 7. I didn't start tilting until this morning because on day 5 I still had detached air cells. They are in individual cut down cardboard egg cartons. 10 eggs have good development but 3 still have partially detached cells. They roll about 3/4 the way down the egg. It looks like there is fluid inside the air cell. I'm worried about tilting them but also worried not to tilt since its been 7 days. Any suggestions for these eggs?

I've got a rough batch of shipped eggs on day 7. I didn't start tilting until this morning because on day 5 I still had detached air cells. They are in individual cut down cardboard egg cartons. 10 eggs have good development but 3 still have partially detached cells. They roll about 3/4 the way down the egg. It looks like there is fluid inside the air cell. I'm worried about tilting them but also worried not to tilt since its been 7 days. Any suggestions for these eggs?

At day 7 you should be able to see egg veins and eye and definitely development. For those i would turn To a 45 degree angle each way. Many of the automatic turners keep the eggs upright and go 45 degrees each way anyway. Keep them in the cutouts. I did this for some terribly shipped eggs in the same condition as yours it sounds. Its so disappointing to receive them like that. Some hatched though. I watched them pretty closely though the hatch and a couple needed help. Good luck

I know everyone has their opinion regarding humidity or to chose to dry hatch. I have a still-air styro and am having a hard time regulating my humidity. My temp is good at 99.5, so I'm fine there. Humidity started at 60 and now at 43.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom