Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers

Pics
Our Broke Beak is around 3 1/2 months old. She/He is still half the size of the other chicks but I fix her mash and she gobbles it up. She still tries to eat the dry food and does get some. I put the Poly-Vi-Sol in her mash and I also have the powder vitamins and electrolytes that I got at Tractor Supply. Her/His beak is getting longer and I'm worried about trying to trim it. Broke Beak is a love and will fly up to my hand or arm when I'm getting his mash ready. I will keep on keeping on for Broke Beak. Don't get discouraged.

Just so you guys know there is hope, My Kriss Kross will be 2 years old this November and her main purpose in life is to be a mom. She has brooded and raised countless chicks and is a very good momma to them!
Yes, most crossbeaks develop later on. I believe Kriss's started just slightly by 8 weeks old. Some do happen at birth and to me it seems the ones that do, don't do as well as the ones that develop later.

I have an american bantam named blue. His beak is so severly crossed that the only way he can get anything to eat is if i put it in his mouth. His bottom beak points at a 45 degree angle from his top beak enabling him from picking anything up. I use wet mash and a plastic butter knife to get it up under his top beak that is now curling down. He is 4 months old. He is also losing his feathers on the side of his face and chest; part from wet mash all the time and part from his fellow flock tring to clean him. He is so smart that i just have to feed him 3-5 times a day. If I go anywhere for any lenth of time he goes too. I dont know which is harder: tring to find someone to hand feed your chicken several times a day or bringing yourself to ask people to hand feed your chicken. lol! I'd sooner just tote him along so i dont spend all my time away worring. Noww i need to learn how to trim his beak. Oh he also loves the 4 wheeler. I can get him to do anything with me. He is quit willing because he knows that i am truely his bread and butter.

Thanks everyone! You all really give me hope! I can't believe sometimes how attached I am to all of my girls especially Roxanne, she is just the sweetest thing and not the personality I ever expected when I got chicken, but the one I hoped they would have.

Oh my gosh! Blue has the worst crossbeak I have ever seen! You are an angel!!!

He seems like a prime candidate for tube feeding with that beak of his! I am shocked he gets any food in there at all.

Back
Top Bottom