Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers

Pics
My crossbeak Blue has been sneezing alot during feeding. I believe he is eating better because he seems to be gulping bigger bites. He isn't showing any other signs. When i say sneezing a lot i mean like 20-30 times each feeding. I only observe this during his meals. I am concerned because i wash him with water nearly everyday. On cold days he gets the blow-dryer. Could the sneezing be something i need to worry about? Is there anything that i should do?

Sounds more like he is clearing his sinuses. If you laugh while you eat or drink, it can come out your nose. Since he is eating the way he is (more air, and scarfing, etc.) it could be going that way, and he is just clearing it out. Maybe a damp washcloth to get the worst of it would work better if you worry about the chill.
BTW, if you missed the posts about winter, a cross beak should go inside during the winter nights. He can't afford the calories to keep warm.

I am so thankful for this thread and the advise. Here is Hoot, she is 9 weeks old - I am not sure what is wrong, but she isn't able to close her mouth - I don't think it is crossed, but maybe the top beak is too curved? Can I carefully file the underside of her top beak? For now, she seems to be eating mash and is roughly as big as her sisters, but I am worried this situation will shift if I am not vigilant. Appreciate the help ~

Hi, yes you could trim that top beak down. I actually had one like this and I believe this is what they call eagles beak. I ground it down a bit for her with a pedipaws and it seemed better for her. She could close her mouth though because it curved beyond the bottom beak. I hope trimming helps her!

I thought I would post this just in case others have this same problem and also something to look out for with their crossbeaks. Ms. Bossy, my one crossbeak hasn't been acting herself the last few days. At feeding time she would follow me to each bowl yelling and screaming, pushing everyone else out of the way and needing to eat out of each bowl. She hadn't been doing this the last few days. I seen her eating but not with great enthusiasm. I decided to feed her by herself yesterday and I had her on my lap. She was eating well but I then noticed her tongue was cut. She uses the tongue in order to eat better. It is cut greater than halfway, pretty deep and fairly far back. I then checked out her beak and it did look like her upper beak was broke off a little and when I felt it, it was sharp. I believe that edge of her beak was cutting her tongue! I filed it smooth as soon as I seen it.
So in addition to checking them for length of their beaks, also check for smoothness and no breaks or sharp edges in the beak! I am really hoping it heals and she doesn't lose that part of her tongue because she uses her tongue as well to eat and drink. I will be feeding her by herself for awhile and will keep you posted on how her heals.

I thought I would post a pic of my other crossbeak besides Borg. She isn't a chicken but still has crossbeak.
Meet Beaker, named after the Muppet character by my DH from the sound she made as a gosling. Hers is slight but I still notice that she tends to graze from one size of her mouth vs. the other. She also has a few other small problems, like her one leg is slightly longer than the other and has a funny walk. She has kept up very well with her flock and I think since hers is not that bad she is able to keep up with everyone and it definitely hasn't slowed her down.

I was planning on making sure he had a heat lamp on in the coop day and night. The problem is he is the first out of the coop and the last to go in. He spends all of his daylight hours lurking around my sunroom to keep me in sight. Because of this I can take him anywhere. We are going camping this weekend. Do you think some high calorie powder mix from a vitamin store mixed in his mash would help?

How against taking him with you are you? They allow dogs at most campgrounds. If it is not possible this time (due to waste issues) buy a chicken diaper for next time.
I am unsure about the powder from a vitamin store. I would call the vet today, and ask.
As for the heat lamp in the coop, I agree with the others (on other threads) that if you have a power failure, the whole flock can freeze if they have gotten used to the heat lamp. Cadburry will be put in the brooder at night if not my bedroom (she can snuggle with the dog).

Thanks Lisa for the encouragement- I did trim her beak today, she was calm through the process, but I did manage to nip her slightly, so a few drops of blood. I've kept her here in the house to make sure she continues to be ok. She is moving her bottom jaw a lot - testing it out - but continues to hold her mouth open - I suspect it is a force of habit for her now. thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom