Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers

Pics
<grin> My sisters are planning a camping trip in the next few weeks. I SO want to bring my entire flock of 27 with me. I can just imagine the reaction to six roosters crowing in the morning! I can then appease my angry camp mates with fresh eggs for breakfast. Of course, with only 4 hens laying, I might end up with some roasted roosters. That is one way to solve my "too many roosters" problem!!!
Seriously, I now have to ask how to keep Cadburry with me. Will a harness work for a chicken? I saw that someone said it did, but she may have been teasing since it was in "things you never thought you would say until you had chickens" forum.
I would like to see the faces of the staff and customers when you bring Cadbury in to get fitted for a harness. Priceless no doubt.
D.gif

My special chick is not doing well. It is almost 4 weeks ols but less than half the size of the others.
It seems to have more anomalies every day. I though it was just because it walks different due to it's missformed legs. Now i am not sure. It seems to eat and drink well. Just takes it so much to move. It and the one I have in with it got soaked this evening. The paper they were on acted like a wick after somehow getting in the water. Special chick got chiled and I thought i had lost it. It is now rught here with me after a warm bath and wrapped up to get warm.
I am worried...
What is the special chick's name?
Are you treating it with antibiotics? Maybe a broad spectrum for that age over a range of days would help the problem and put you at ease.
I am treating my four week old with a drinking water solution from the neighborhood farmer. Had lung and nose congestion and it is clearing up.
Other than that bullying is ongoing because they pick on the sick. Best to keep it separate and inside until it's better. Are the legs deformed or does it have crib syndrome. My coined name for it. If they were pressed down on too much by Mom or siblings the legs are splayed and splints are used to keep them growing right. This only works if you catch it soon enough. I hope for a speedy recovery. Happy long life.
thumbsup.gif

What is the special chick's name?
Are you treating it with antibiotics? Maybe a broad spectrum for that age over a range of days would help the problem and put you at ease.
I am treating my four week old with a drinking water solution from the neighborhood farmer. Had lung and nose congestion and it is clearing up.
Other than that bullying is ongoing because they pick on the sick. Best to keep it separate and inside until it's better. Are the legs deformed or does it have crib syndrome. My coined name for it. If they were pressed down on too much by Mom or siblings the legs are splayed and splints are used to keep them growing right. This only works if you catch it soon enough. I hope for a speedy recovery. Happy long life.
thumbsup.gif
Since we don't know if it's male or female I have just been calling it chicken little. It's legs have been this way since birth. This chick was in the egg over a day after it pipped and I finally "helped" it. Chicken little has never stood on it's legs. It tried splints and tape and everything I could find on here. WE used tape, cardboard, pipe cleaners... it all just made it worse. I Really thought I had the splint issue worked out when I tried the pipe cleaners but
I had to make two bars between the legs for it to work and then the chick just found a way to put both legs out behind instead of just the one. Then it couldn't move at all. I had to give up and remove the splint before the day was up. This went on for over 2 weeks, with everyone in the house trying to figure out a way to help chicken little. Web sites and our brite ideas...nothing worked so we finally made the decision to let it be as it was. He/she is growing, just isn't as big as the others. Eats well. Loves canned cat food.
Oh BTW it has always had it's own place so no one could pick on it. I tried giving a friend chick, but it just doesn't work.
WE are now making a new cage with a wire (hardware cloth) bottom and a nipple bottle to prevent further water logging. until then, chicken little is in a box in my kitchen and has a blanket to hide under since it seems to like doing so. i feed canned cat food with water poured over to help hydrate and then hand water several times a day.
What a day some "nice" lady" I have never met just came to my door and in a most condescending tone asked " Do YOU think your Dog should be TIED to a TREE outside on a day like TODAY!!! It's 102 out here!!!
The fact is "lady it's not a TREE he has ICE water and is usually back in the house by now. WE actually forgot today. Which is bad of me I admit but I also think she could have been so much more polite about it instead of acting like she was scolding a miss behaving child! She sat at the end of the driveway waiting to SEE if i was actually going to bring him in. I had to send one of the kids since I have a broken foot ! GEESH!!

I'm hoping to get advise. Farimir NEEDS to have his beak trimmed. I tried to use fingernail clippers and got very, very nervous that I would cut to deep and he would bleed to death
hit.gif

Below are pictures. How far up would you suggest I cut. Up to or close to the dark part? I'm also thinking about maybe having my vet, Dr. Rob do it. I'm such a baby..........

Could I cut all the way up, close to his lower beak?

See the dark part?

Where are these blood vessels I read about? HELP!

Last edited:
You can usually see the blood line, like in a dogs toe nails. Or our finger nails even. It is more difficult in dark beaks, just as it is more difficult to see the blood line if a dog has dark toenails.
I don't blame you I would be such a "chicken" about this if I couldn't tell for sure. So much a bigger deal than toe nails.
The line is easier to see with good light. in your photo it looks to me like it's about half way up to the dark section. At first I though it was right where the dark part starts but in the next photo it lok more like it's half way up the beak. Wish I could be more sure. Maybe you could slowly file if the bird would let you?
Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
You can usually see the blood line, like in a dogs toe nails. Or our finger nails even. It is more difficult in dark beaks, just as it is more difficult to see the blood line if a dog has dark toenails.
I don't blame you I would be such a "chicken" about this if I couldn't tell for sure. So much a bigger deal than toe nails.
The line is easier to see with good light. in your photo it looks to me like it's about half way up to the dark section. At first I though it was right where the dark part starts but in the next photo it lok more like it's half way up the beak. Wish I could be more sure. Maybe you could slowly file if the bird would let you?
Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

So I should look for a blood line. I guess I'll look alot closer. (I wish I had a dog or dog friend so I could look at its nails
roll.png
)

I did manage to clip just a little bit before I gave up. I think filing would take forever. His beak is pretty tough. I had cut one of my DH's socks to put over his head with a hole for his beak but he still fought us.....ALOT.

What should I do or prepare for if I cut his blood line? Could he bleed to death?

A few problems here with long toe nails or beaks
The blood line goes out a lot further than normal when you let go like that.
I would use a pedi paw grinder. Take the cap off if you are careful of her face. grinding is more cautious approach. Stiptic powder will stop blood flow. Used by everyone for stopping mistakes.
The more you keep shaved down the more the vein receeds and no worries.
I look at my dogs nails as a sort of mathematical question. From the outside end inward to where the slope starts curving like a backwards "C" in the case of your photo. I will try to show you with a comment on your actual photo. Notice more from the inside face where the blood line might be also.

Kilby you explain so much better than me.
i would like to mention the powder or what we used to call blood stop can be bought at a pet supply store. In an emergency I have used corn starch.

Back
Top Bottom