chickenchicklady

Songster
5 Years
Apr 23, 2019
I found a thread similar, however, the replies for some reason would not load. I got some chicks on the 7th, I’m picking up some chicks on the 13th, and my main batch of chicks will arrive in the end of May/beginning of June. I’m assuming that given the specific temperature needs and the pecking orders of different ages, that there is no way That any of the batches of chicks can be together in the same brooder and that I will have to wait until they’re all old enough to be in the coop together to introduce them to each other?

Actually, you might be able to pull this off. Until chicks are four weeks old, they are generally accepting of younger newer chicks. It's always a good idea to try to raise them together if you can, or at least within sight of one another.

Heat requirements can be tricky. But if you have a large space, there should be room for each age group to fulfill their own heat requirements.

You have all sorts of options. You can use the heating pad system, perhaps two heating pads set at different heights. Are you familiar with this system? It's very flexible. Instead of relying on radiant heat, the chicks derive their heat from direct contact, especially the first two weeks. After that, they will be weaning themselves off heat gradually. If you haven't heard of this method, here's the original stellar thread on it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/

Here's my article on brooding outdoors and my various brooder solutions over my time with chickens. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/

Last year, I raised two different aged groups of chicks together under one heating pad, and it was very successful.

This will get you started thinking outside the box. There are more options than you thought.

Azygous is right, you can totally make this work. The mama heating pad is the way to go, it lets the chicks position themselves to get the amount of heat they need. We have a mixed group of chicks ranging in hatch dates of April 8th, April 21st, and April 24th. There are 2 heating pads in the coop, we did do the see but no-touch divided brooder for about a week between the oldest chicks and the 21st and 24th hatched chicks. They are all in the coop and run together now.

Thank you guys for your help! I knew I could always count on this community! Now, I have another question for you guys. I’m trying to make do with the coop I have before resorting to building an all new coop to accommodate my size of flock. I’m pretty sure that the coop I have is too small for my flock. The run is plenty big enough if I go by the rule of “10 Sq. Ft. Per bird”. However, our coop is very tall (it was left by the last people when we moved here). I am wondering if I could just add another floor to my coop and have a second story to make more space? Does that make sense?

Back
Top Bottom