dipsy doodle doo's project is cool

Quote:
Yes, every two genes that are located close to each other on the same chromosome will show "close linkage", this goes for any genes in anything. There are several others in chickens found and documented to have close linkage but most are obscure and not very useful to the hobbyist.. such as some blood types, dark feather pigmentation etc. I can't think of specific ones right now, pea comb and the O gene is simply the most well known and of interest as trying to develop their own line or introduce the blue/green eggs into a breed is a relatively common hobbyist goal. This linkage probably was studied due to past interest in possibly making blue/green egg production birds- pea comb also cause an fold of extra skin to develop along the breast bone ridge, which is undesirable for birds kept in battery or cage situations as this makes the birds prone to breast blisters. Could be why Legbars were developed in England, using the rare single combed blue egger to start that line.

6 nn out of 30.. that is pretty amazing. My first thought was did another non-NN roo sneak in or the hens still had sperm from previous rooster? I suppose that can happen but that is amazing.. I don't know of anything about dark skin having any effect on growth(but then I don't know much about this gene, am still learning about it myself).. but am wondering if that is a clue, maybe the dark skinneds (and some not) were out of the same father and the other larger ones were from another and larger roo? I'll take a look at my birds and see if there's a size difference between black skinned and normal skin siblings..

I don't *think* any other rooster was able to get in, but anything is possible.
I just put it down to not hatching enough to get the proper percentages to show. Probably the next 30-something would have been mostly Naked Necks.

Here is an example of less feathers / slow feathering.

This youngster hatched from my Naked Neck green egger pen.

344484203.jpg

Pull away the wings and the body is still quite naked.

344483143.jpg

I think Mark (BirdBoy) hatched a NNGE from here that should be about the same age as this one. I wonder if his is growing the same.

He's pea combed right? Many NN pea combs look just like that.

Most of my pea combed NN most seemed to grow 'normal'. They do seem to be 'cold' if they hatch during the fall/winter more so than single combs. Don't recall size differences as adults though.

However, I did order Madagascar Games 2 years ago. Most of the chicks seemed to be very slow growing, and seemed pretty intolerant of cool/colder tempatures(this is southern Calif.. so this is 50-60 degrees we're talking about). They've since all 'dropped dead' over fall/winter/early spring.. seemed they just weren't that hardy.

Dr. Charles R H Everett recently wrote a great article on Madagascar games HERE . You might want to give it a read, it is very thorough.

Wonderful article ! Thanks for sharing it. I wonder what the bird would look like if you crossed one of those naked necked game birds with a large single combed turken ? We need KEV, he has a lot of genetic knowledge.

Hi! Someone posted that link a few days ago and I've been trying to remember where I know that name. I finally remembered! He was offering eggs a while back from the feral fowl out at SRS. We've heard them and seen sign when hiking at Crackerneck, but haven't ever been able to actually see them.

I like the *look* of the Madagascar Games but don't like *game-y* birds (they might disrupt my peaceable kingdom). I think I can breed some that look like them without the *game*.

I'm just about to set the first eggs from a brand-new cross tonight.

Drumroll, please... Blue / splash Frizzle Naked Neck green-eggers!
This roo

330773725.jpg

with clean-faced blue green-egger hens. This one:

286918752.jpg

is the only girl with him that is actually NN.
This little hen, sibling to splash Frizz NN roo, lays a green egg:

340933764.jpg

I have 4 little (as in bantam-ish) smooth NN girls from that cross that all lay green eggs, but I haven't decided who to pair them with (I just realized I got no frizzled girls at all from that cross --- that's odd).

Rambling over!
Happy Holidays!
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom