Disease Spreading through the hen house

Sebright18

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
HELP!!!!!

I posted a Thread a week ago about my Battery Hen who was ill, who didnt seem to be eating or drinking and it looked like she had a absis in her throat. Her comb was going purple etc. She died this morning, R.I.P Sunshine.

Now another chicken is going ill, I have not got a clue what disease it is but I really want to stop it before my chickens all get wiped out aswell as the chicks we have recently hatched. You can look at my old post for pictures. But the hen seems to be huddle, eyes closed, perched in the hen house. I cant see her comb going purple but I can see a change in it. I really want to stop this. So if you hae any idea what Disease it is and how I can cure it you may save my chickens/chicks. So please help me!!!

Many Thanks, Lots of thanks I hope

I am so sorry. That sounds really bad.
The best thing I can think of is to isolate the sick ones and watch them closely. Give them electrolyte water and feed them normally. If the chicks are not in the coop yet then DO NOT PUT THEM THERE! if they are then take them out right away.

your best bet is to remove the chicks and quaranteen them for now, then you need to add a full spectrum antibiotic to waterer for the rest of your chickens. those who are not eating or drinking on their own you might have to administer the antibiotic by dropper. I am going to see if I can find your older post so I can read it, you should add the link to your OP so others can see it too.

Ema

I read your other post, seems to me that your other hen seemed to be suffering from an obstructed crop. olive oil and some massage would have likely helped her immensely and she would likely still be alive, but I am going by the description of her symptoms.

we need more information in order to help you out, like what are you feeding them, type of bedding, temperatures inside and out, have you checked them for mites, have they gotten into anything that they shouldn't have. Have you inspected their vent areas and felt their crops??

are their eyes clear, how does their poop look, is there any bloody poop anywhere in the coop? the list is endless but pretty much, you need to provide us with more info in order for us to even begin to help you in leading you down the right path for treatment.

Ema

Back
Top Bottom