Dispatching a Rooster

what did I do

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Montana
I used the broomstick method on a hen the other day and it worked great. I have a year old rooster that needs to go. Will the broomstick method work ok with this leghorn rooster? Will his head be tougher to remove with a broomstick ? I hate to see my rooster go but he has started going after us. We have a Buff Orpington rooster that will take his place when he gets older.

Ever use a kill cone much easier and drains the blood very fast.

Habibs put the chicken/rooster head down with a broom stick over their neck then step on the broomstick and pull up. I find it one of the lesser ways to dispatch a fowl. I think the kill cone method for me works the best.

I used the broomstick method on a hen the other day and it worked great. I have a year old rooster that needs to go. Will the broomstick method work ok with this leghorn rooster? Will his head be tougher to remove with a broomstick ? I hate to see my rooster go but he has started going after us. We have a Buff Orpington rooster that will take his place when he gets older.
It should work OK. I have never used this method, and have been wondering if they bleed out well afterwards.

As for mean roosters.....they gotta go. I think you will be pleased with your Buff rooster. I have a Lavender Orpington that protects my hens, and he is wonderful. He is not aggressive, but is quite attentive to his girls. If one of them makes a noise that he interprets as distress, he comes running. When we processed our meat birds, they squawk when we turn them upside down to put them in the cone. He comes running to check on them, then almost as though he realizes that it isn't one of his girls, he goes on.

Back
Top Bottom