Distance from Neighbors -Alabama

mb929

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2022
Hello Chicken Friends! My husband and I are planning on building out our detached carport into a coop and run. We have plans to make it look really nice and complement our house. So it’s not going to look distasteful to any of our neighbors! However, I’m a little concerned of the proximity to our neighbors house. They will not be able to physically see the chickens and we are both on almost 1 acre lots, but it is somewhat near the edge of the back of their house… Does anyone know if there are any ordinances on how far the coops need to be away from your neighbors in the areas of Birmingham, AL? (We are only planning on having 4 to 6 chickens at once - and trying to go with breeds that are know for being more quiet.) I have already gotten approval from someone on the city Council saying as long as I am conscious of the noise level it should be totally fine… Just trying to make sure of the proximity to neighbors ! Thanks in advance!

Most places have a set number of feet that your coop has to be away from either your property line or the neighbor’s house. Since your city council member didn’t tell you what that number was, my guess is that there is no number and you are fine. But, how confident are you in the person you talked to? If you have formal aproval, you are good. If someone just told you they think you are fine without looking up the actual ordinance, then you might want to ask someone else for the actual information.

Aside from legalities, if you are concerned that your coop will be too close to the neighbor’s house, then maybe it is. Maybe see if there is a spot for the coop that makes you feel totally comfortable.

and then you will find things like this:

A. Chicken Coop. A chicken coop in only any C-2, I-1, I-2 and I-3 zoning district a special exception may be granted by the Board provided that the following conditions are met:
1. Roosters are prohibited.
2. It is accessory to an urban farm.
3. No more than 100 hens per property.
4. An enclosed predator-proof coop/run shall be provided that is no more than 2,000 square feet.
5. The minimum setback from any dwelling district shall be 200 feet and from street right-of-way lines the setback shall be 50 feet.
6. Slaughtering of animals is prohibited
I did NOT search the whole of the code, that was just a quick hit. There may be exceptions for smaller than commercial scale coops. and be aware that "Chicken Coop" is defined in the code, as is "urban farm".

Hello Chicken Friends! My husband and I are planning on building out our detached carport into a coop and run. We have plans to make it look really nice and complement our house. So it’s not going to look distasteful to any of our neighbors! However, I’m a little concerned of the proximity to our neighbors house. They will not be able to physically see the chickens and we are both on almost 1 acre lots, but it is somewhat near the edge of the back of their house… Does anyone know if there are any ordinances on how far the coops need to be away from your neighbors in the areas of Birmingham, AL? (We are only planning on having 4 to 6 chickens at once - and trying to go with breeds that are know for being more quiet.) I have already gotten approval from someone on the city Council saying as long as I am conscious of the noise level it should be totally fine… Just trying to make sure of the proximity to neighbors ! Thanks in advance!
I found this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/birmingham-alabama-chicken-ordinance.61317/

If you keep searching,
Chicken Coop. In D-1, D-2 AND D-3 districts a chicken coop shall be permitted as an accessory use to a dwelling provided that the following conditions are met:
1. It is accessory to an occupied single-family detached residential structure.
2. Hens are not kept in residential structure and must be kept in coop/run at all times.
3. Roosters are prohibited.
4. No more than 6 hens per property.
5. An enclosed predator-proof coop/run shall be provided in a rear yards, and be built of uniform metal or wood that is either new or sound condition not showing signs of decay and treated to prevent decay and predatorproof wire, properly ventilated, clean, dry and kept in a manner that will not disturb the use or enjoyment of neighboring lots due to noise and odor, enclosed on all sides and has a roof and doors that are lockable, all ventilation openings must be covered with predator-proof wire, and the run must be built to prevent predators and rodents from entering either above or under the pen with the total area being no more than 80 square feet, no more than six feet tall, setback a minimum of 10 feet from property lines and 15 feet from residential structures on adjacent lots.
6. Slaughtering of animals is prohibited.
7. The chickens, coops and cages must be adequately maintained to control odor and prevent infestation, coop and pen will be kept free from accumulated manure, coop must be cleaned regularly and sprayed to control red mites, a dust bath must be provided for hens, feed is to be kept in either the residence or in a weather-resistant container with a sealable lid, uneaten feed must be removed from the coop/run daily.
8. If a coop is not maintained in sound condition free from evidence of decay and can be seen from public right-of-way or an adjacent property, they will be considered a nuisance and will be subject to code enforcement.

It is probably not a bad idea to also knock on some doors, and talk with the neighbors, especially those right next to you (gratz on the acre lot though. I only have about 0.4, but I live outside the city limits.)
Nearly everybody has dogs here, and down the road, somebody has roosters (I think gamecocks) but far enough away to be 'ambient noise'
And I made sure to get females only.
Welcome, fellow Central Alabamian.

The folks up-thread had the best advice though, on where to look for your zoning compliance.

Back
Top Bottom