DISTRAUGHT

Halfpasthen

Songster
Jan 29, 2019
South Louisiana
I ordered chicks recently from the closest hatchery to me (4hrs away). I specifically chose this hatchery even though they didn't have every breed I wanted because I didn't want to ship chicks across the entire country.
Chicks shipped Tuesday night around 8pm. With an estimated delivery of Saturday at 9pm. Already longer than the 72 hours they're supposed to be okay in shipping. Later Tuesday night they arrived in Houston (2.5 hrs from me). And then left that facility soon after. Since then there haven't been any updates. This morning (Saturday) I checked for updates and now they are expected to arrive EVEN later.
I have emailed the hatchery without a response yet (it wasn't very long ago though). I tried calling the post office and was given the very helpful advice that "they will call you when they get here even if it's 3am and you have to come and get them" then was promptly hung up on before I could ask any follow up questions.

I guess all of this ranting is just to get to this point: is there any chance my chicks will be alive? Has anyone every had chicks delivered after 72 hours that survived?

I think your chicks will be fine. Be ready with electrolyte-fueled water, vitamins, and plenty of chick Starter Feed!
The USPS, which was horrible to begin with, has only gotten exponentially worse since Covid with no improvement(s) in sight.
Question: if they're only four hours away, why didn't you drive to the hatchery?
I really hope you are right. 4-5 days in shipping seems like a really long time. I had really hoped priority mail would be better.
I've been working 6 days a week so spending an 8 hr round trip day in the car didn't seem worth the time and gas money. Not to mention needing an oil change. Of course, in hindsight I would have preferred making the trip. I really jumped to do it now because the hatchery alerted me that they had a breed in stock I had been hoping to get. That particular breed was supposed to be out of stock until 2022.

Thank you for the feedback. I hope they'll be okay. I feel really guilty.

I ordered chicks recently from the closest hatchery to me (4hrs away). I specifically chose this hatchery even though they didn't have every breed I wanted because I didn't want to ship chicks across the entire country.
Chicks shipped Tuesday night around 8pm. With an estimated delivery of Saturday at 9pm. Already longer than the 72 hours they're supposed to be okay in shipping. Later Tuesday night they arrived in Houston (2.5 hrs from me). And then left that facility soon after. Since then there haven't been any updates. This morning (Saturday) I checked for updates and now they are expected to arrive EVEN later.
I have emailed the hatchery without a response yet (it wasn't very long ago though). I tried calling the post office and was given the very helpful advice that "they will call you when they get here even if it's 3am and you have to come and get them" then was promptly hung up on before I could ask any follow up questions.

I guess all of this ranting is just to get to this point: is there any chance my chicks will be alive? Has anyone every had chicks delivered after 72 hours that survived?
I am so sorry! I have been in your shoes, it is so anxiety provoking.:hugs
The postal system has not been updating chick deliveries, in my experience, this year. You can go down to your local post office and see if they are there, if it is not too far away.
If they arrive you will likely have some losses, but there is nothing you can do but be ready for them with a warm brooder. Nutradrench can do wonders, too. I have had chicks take 4 days to get here. Most hatcheries place gel packs in with the chicks that gives them a little sustenance for the trip.🙂

I am so sorry! I have been in your shoes, it is so anxiety provoking.:hugs
The postal system has not been updating chick deliveries, in my experience, this year. You can go down to your local post office and see if they are there, if it is not too far away.
If they arrive you will likely have some losses, but there is nothing you can do but be ready for them with a warm brooder. Nutradrench can do wonders, too. I have had chicks take 4 days to get here. Most hatcheries place gel packs in with the chicks that gives them a little sustenance for the trip.🙂
Thank you. I just called again on your advice. They still aren't there but at least I talked to a very nice man that actually cared. He took my name and number just to be certain and said he would call as soon as they get in.

I really hope you are right. 4-5 days in shipping seems like a really long time. I had really hoped priority mail would be better.
I've been working 6 days a week so spending an 8 hr round trip day in the car didn't seem worth the time and gas money. Not to mention needing an oil change. Of course, in hindsight I would have preferred making the trip. I really jumped to do it now because the hatchery alerted me that they had a breed in stock I had been hoping to get. That particular breed was supposed to be out of stock until 2022.

Thank you for the feedback. I hope they'll be okay. I feel really guilty.

Check the tracking number on at www.usps.com and see where they are. Absolutely go to your local post office (if you can) ASAP and find out why they have not taken proper care of your live animal delivery...
The tracking number will show progress (location) of the shipment via a dropdown menu that shows all updates (scans) of the tracking number.

Back
Top Bottom