Dixie Rainbows/Pilgrim chickens - first meaties

Are yours Dixies or Pioneers? I think that they are the same basic bird with each hatchery choosing their own name. My Pioneer roos were all barred. So, I bet the head dot is definitely a boy. One pullet that I kept, actually had green legs, but they became more yellow as she matured.

Mcmurray hatchery says Dixie Rainbows and Pioneers are the same birds. I noticed today some have dark legs and some light.

For my fermented feed I filled a quart jar about 3/4 full of crumble and then filled it with warm water and a splash of apple cider vinegar. I put a sprouting lid on it and let it sit overnight. The next morning I poured the fluid (was very little left) into another jar and scooped the mash into their trough chick feeder. I reset the jar for the evening feeding. They've been eating it all up and while right before I switched I noticed their poops were getting stinky, now I'm not noticing a smell out there. There is another feeder with dry food out there too but I don't think they've eaten much of it.

13 days old. They are getting thick legs and the wide stance of a big breasted bird.

Last edited:
Weigh in day. I weighed 5 chicks (232, 216, 274, 269, 263) for an average weight of 250.8 grams (8.85 oz) at 14 days old. I had a feeling they'd be over a half pound today!
Last weights:
7 days old: 118 oz (4.2 oz)
1 day old: 37 grams (1.3 oz)

These birds have gotten increasingly active and there is now a lot of sparring going on. I'm happy I didn't get any regular layer chicks with these. I think they'd be overwhelmed by how assertive the pioneer baby roos are.

Last edited:

The last week or so has been very busy and I'm afraid I missed a weigh in. The chicks are now completely feathered out and showing some distinct patterns. The boys are obvious with their stripes. The 3 all buff chicks are now entirely white. They are eating a ton. 4 quarts of fermented feed a day plus free feed dry crumble (they perfer the fermented to the point where if I'm late with it, it's obvious they were waiting for it rather then eating the dry. I get rushed like they are starving.

The pic doesn't do them justice. They are a pretty bunch. If it ever stops raining I will get better pics of them outside.

Feed wise - They've eaten all the initial 25 lb bag of chick starter and a 50 lb bag of broiler feed. We are now 2 days into a 2nd bag and it looks like they will be eating us out of house and home fairly quickly.

Back
Top Bottom