Dixie Rainbows Thread

Pics
In case you haven't figured out the answer to your question yet.... Thanks
1f425.png

You'll need to check your 4H exhibitor rules and regulations for the 4H poultry program in your state which is usually found under the Animal Science Rules or such, typically the poultry and pigeons section. 

Your fair book or animal science qualifications should be linked on your state's 4H Extenstion office website, or call the 4H Extension office, and someone will help you get a flyer or book. They will also have other material to help you prepare your poultry project over the weeks leading to fair.

Once you get the fair book, look through the poultry sections and see what is allowed.

In Oregon, we have a Cross Breeds section in which a Rainbow might qualify, but check your state and talk with someone before you commit the time and money to a project only to find out it doesn't qualify.

Also be sure to note the deadlines for fair entry. I am writing this in early May, and for us, fair entry deadline is typically the first week in June for late July fair. That fair entry deadline is often several months before the fair date.  (I've swabbed the tears of more than one 4H student who missed that all important deadline or misread the rules and did not qualify for entry.)

Good luck in your endeavors. 4H is a great program to learn about animals and improve your husbandry skills as well as develop good communication and showmanship...."making our best better."

LofMc

May 4th I purchased 20 Pioneer (Dixie Rainbow) chickens, I know the hatchery says breeding them is not advised as they are hybrids. However I have some Pioneer eggs in the incubator F2s, the woman I got them from claims they finish out in the same time and at the same dress weight as the birds purchased from the hatchery, she says she is on her 3rd Generation and just loves them and says they are laying machines. Well we will see maybe this will turn out to be a good sustainable dual purpose bird that actually has some meat on its bones.

May 4th I purchased 20 Pioneer (Dixie Rainbow) chickens, I know the hatchery says breeding them is not advised as they are hybrids. However I have some Pioneer eggs in the incubator F2s, the woman I got them from claims they finish out in the same time and at the same dress weight as the birds purchased from the hatchery, she says she is on her 3rd Generation and just loves them and says they are laying machines. Well we will see maybe this will turn out to be a good sustainable dual purpose bird that actually has some meat on its bones.
So how are your Pioneer chicks doing? Are they colored basically the same or an assortment of colors?

Hello!

We have two 12 week old Rainbows. We are having a hard time telling if they are hens or roosters. Any ideas? Your help is appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom