DIY Chicken Feed

@Kuritsa y Utochka , you have been given excellent advice, and if I only had 8 hens, I would definitely be feeding a quality feed similiar to the suggestions above. However, I currently have 200 chickens, and so I look for the best feed at the most affordable price. I have always fed 16% layer feed, and my hen's lay rate has always been excellent. I supply oyster shell on the side and supplement with garden produce and live meal worms. Plus my chickens are free-range, and that saves a lot of money on feed during the warmer months.

16% Layer feed is noticeably cheaper than all-flock or chick-starter, and store brands are cheaper than national brands. Tractor Supply has a store brand called Producer's Pride. I never fed Producers Pride even before the recent controversy because the feedstore I use matches the PP price, which is currently $11.89 for a 40# bag. Before Covid shutdowns made a mess of the supply chain, I only paid $7.99 for the exact same 40# bag. Nutrena sells a budget-friendlier brand called Country Feed; it is also 16% protein. I have fed that in the past, but Orsheln's Country Lane brand is more convenient, and I'm satisfied with it. I have many older hens up to 8 years old that are still healthy and laying.

It is unfortunately currently more expensive to feed chickens now than ever before. But if you are looking for the best feed at the best price, go with a minimum 16% protein layer feed, and compare prices of store brands in your area.

Hi all,

I am trying to find a budget-friendly recipe for a DIY hen feed. Any suggestions or recipes would be very helpful. Thanks!

Kuritsa
I don't know much about chickens but you could partially make a DIY by mixing a seed blend which consists of grains and seeds that are nutritionally balanced for them and mix in some protein. (etc bugs, pea protein, soybean meal.) and give them veggies. I am also experimenting with making my own feed for quail, (although I am using commercial feed, its not the weird pellets.) I found it cheapest to find a seed blend for quail that consists of grains and seeds, so I'd reccomend finding something like that for your chickens if you wish to give them something other than pellets. Just make sure you can provide the correct nutrition for chickens, so you may want to do some research

I don't know much about chickens but you could partially make a DIY by mixing a seed blend which consists of grains and seeds that are nutritionally balanced for them and mix in some protein. (etc bugs, pea protein, soybean meal.) and give them veggies. I am also experimenting with making my own feed for quail, (although I am using commercial feed, its not the weird pellets.) I found it cheapest to find a seed blend for quail that consists of grains and seeds, so I'd reccomend finding something like that for your chickens if you wish to give them something other than pellets. Just make sure you can provide the correct nutrition for chickens, so you may want to do some research
Thanks for the reply. What kind of bugs do you feed your quails? I assume the diets are similar...

Back
Top Bottom