****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
here's my feeder.4 tubes takes a standard bag of feed.

here's my feeder.4 tubes takes a standard bag of feed.

I thought about that. However, the coop I am building, a grown man can walk around without banging his head, or needing to stoop. To feed the amount of birds it can hold, It would look like the Mormon Tabernacle by the time I added 10 PVC pipes for 20 large birds. I was hoping to have a one tube, external pour. I was thinking of an external feeder, waterer. and egg box. This way, other than occasional maintenance, there would be no real need to enter the coop. Occasionally rake out the hay, off the concrete slab, and replace. If it is really bad, hose down, let dry and replace.

8x8x16 run with a 4x4x6 coop was what I originally built for 4 hens. their castle. there are now 4 ducks and 3 more hens and a rooster on the way(chicken math). They free range 99% of the time and just use it for a sleeper. Lol. New feeding and watering systems plus new living space in the plans ahead for spring

Last edited:
8x8x16 run with a 4x4x6 coop was what I originally built for 4 hens. their castle. there are now 4 ducks and 3 more hens and a rooster on the way(chicken math). They free range 99% of the time and just use it for a sleeper. Lol. New feeding and watering systems plus new living space in the plans ahead for spring

I have to monitor my hens when they free range. Too many hawks in the area. I had a near miss when I let them free range several months ago in the enclosed fenced area.

No plumber's tape. There's a clear o-ring that seals against the outside of the pipe.

Interesting, so you put it in a vise, cranked on it until bore into the PVC and then attached a 55 gallon drum. So, no leaks or blow outs? Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the information.

No vise.
Drill a 11/32 hole, disassemble nipple, insert threaded half of nipple, push on it with your thumb while using a wrench to screw it in until the o-ring starts to compress, reassemble nipple.
I have a cap on both ends of the pvc. One has a hole drilled in it with a hose quick connect screwed in (sealed with Seal All). The other end of the quick connect is attached to a hose, which is connected to the brass spigot screwed into the plastic barrel, a few inches from the bottom.
I did it this way so the connection between the pvc and barrel is flexible. You don;t have to do this if you don't need to, but I would support the length of pvc with wire or straps (mine is hanging under the floor of the coop)

No vise.
Drill a 11/32 hole, disassemble nipple, insert threaded half of nipple, push on it with your thumb while using a wrench to screw it in until the o-ring starts to compress, reassemble nipple.
I have a cap on both ends of the pvc. One has a hole drilled in it with a hose quick connect screwed in (sealed with Seal All). The other end of the quick connect is attached to a hose, which is connected to the brass spigot screwed into the plastic barrel, a few inches from the bottom.
I did it this way so the connection between the pvc and barrel is flexible. You don;t have to do this if you don't need to, but I would support the length of pvc with wire or straps (mine is hanging under the floor of the coop)
So, I am guessing without a photo line up, that you made an external platform for your 55 gallon drum, ran the hose from the spigot, then cut a hole either in the wire, or (in my case T-1 siding) and then ran the PVC along some sort of stud to strap in. Other than getting the barrel and building a platform, it would seem like a fairly easy set up.

So, I am guessing without a photo line up, that you made an external platform for your 55 gallon drum, ran the hose from the spigot, then cut a hole either in the wire, or (in my case T-1 siding) and then ran the PVC along some sort of stud to strap in. Other than getting the barrel and building a platform, it would seem like a fairly easy set up.

That's about it.

Back
Top Bottom