****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
I'm convinced the key to low feed waste is making holes just big enough for the chickens to get their heads into when eating. My version of this feeder is a corrugated pipe with the a milk jug screwed to it.

Cut just enough of the top of the milk jug to fit the corrugated pipe in and screw the corrugated pipe to the corner of the milk jug. Then cut 2 holes that are at about 2-3 inches from the bottom of the milk jug just big enough for the chickens heads and combs to fit in. They only need to be an inch to an inch and a half wide. You may need to cut a small notch in the bottom of the corrugated pipe to let the feed flow if you have a tight fit between the bottom of the pipe and the milk jug.

The best part is if you mess up the milk jug it doesn't matter, you can just make a another one. I used the square blocky milk jugs found at costco and maybe walmart.

This type of feeder is probably good up to 5 hens but i use it with 3 at the moment.

Dan,

I would try taping cardboard with smaller openings cut out over the large holes. You can play around with the size and positioning before making something more permanent. If the chickens can just barely get their heads in (but still comfortably) then they cant scoop the food out hunting for the bits their brains tell them are best.
Thanks- I have raised it to about a foot off the ground. We will see if it helps. I was not able to test it today as I was buying more feed and didn't get home before they were in the coop for the night.
roll.png

I don't get any waste at all with mine since I added the extension piece so they had to put their heads down inside further to eat.

Prior to then they scraped a lot out. I'd be looking at how to make it deeper.

Do you think that applies to those ball bearing type ones that guinea pigs use that you screw on an old drink bottle?

Have one for my odd beaked hen but I was wondering if it was letting enough out.

I don't think it is needed for them because they let air in as well:)

We might have solved the scattering issue with 3 caps cut in half. They snapped on the outside of the fitting without needing to glue. The lip appears to be keeping the feed in yet let's the ladies get the feed they want.

We also raised the feeders up about 6 inches. I think the combination of raising and caps may just be the ticket.

We will see if it continues to work.

We might have solved the scattering issue with 3 caps cut in half. They snapped on the outside of the fitting without needing to glue. The lip appears to be keeping the feed in yet let's the ladies get the feed they want.

We also raised the feeders up about 6 inches. I think the combination of raising and caps may just be the ticket.

Raising them up will help for sure!! You went PRO with the half caps!!! PLEASE PLEASE keep me updated:)

So, how is it going? Is this working my friend?

I love the half cap idea! We wrapped ours with black electrical tape to make the opening smaller. So far, they don't pick at the tape.

We solved our clumping (damp) food issue. Although he had glued the fittings, it turned out he didn't silicone caulk the exterior of the seams. No problems since he did that!

Where abouts are you that you have the moisture issues? I have been pretty fortunate to not have issues with moisture here in Idaho. We have had some spring showers but because the feeders are backed up to a cow barn on the other side of the run there is some protection from the elements. We will see what happens in the winter.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom