****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics
I agree that the chickens will not be concerned which materials used as long the food keeps flowing. The costs and ease of construction, handling would leave me leaning heavily towards good ol' "polyifalifalene".
I would also be concerned with sharp edges being damaging to chicks and their handlers. Maybe my history of involuntarily drawing my own blood is coming through.
he.gif

Just my two cents.

I haven't read all of the posts in this very large thread so apologize if this was answered, but has anyone with dove problems used this? I was thinking that if it was placed at the right height, with a long enough "throat", that the doves couldn't get feed out of it ... any thoughts?

First of all- Shame on you for not reading all the BAGILION posts on this thread.

jk

I have an enclosed coop and run so I have no dove issues. I suppose if I were Dr. Dolittle I might hear some taunting or something like that but I digress.
Is the idea that keeping it up off the ground will keep the doves from helping themselves? Sounds logical to me- but then again, Critters and logic are not usually synonymous.

I love this thread, thank you Matt and everyone else for the great info. We're planning on making the feeder using drain pipe with the T pieces and 45 degree bends. We have 8 girls and
I wondering how many feeding holes we need? I was thinking 4 would be plenty, is this right?

God Bless!!!

I have (2) 3" diameter straight 24" length PVC pipes with the "Y" PVC adapter and plastic test caps glued into the bottom of the "Y". I used invisible power grip silicone to attach the test caps underneath the lip to prevent contact with the chickens or the feed, and then a standard cap on the top end of the pipe. I use these to feed the girls their oyster shell and grit. I also have the 5 gallon bucket with two 3" street elbows in it for their feed. Loneoak had the idea and it worked out well for me. I just sawed off the hub end, slid the elbow in and then attached the hub that I sawed off onto the spigot end of the elbow on the outside of the bucket. It works like a charm.
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom