DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Pics
The first chicken nipples I purchased were the screw in kind, and they worked great. I lost the eBay seller's info and subsequently bought push in style from another vendor, which are complete leaky garbage... Anyone have a good source? I built buckets like this, but not with this style float, which I think I like a whole lot better and I can't wait to try
smile.png

just search on eBay and make sure you buy the screw in type,,,both are offered

I used the push in type on mine and i think the screw in type would have worked better for the bucket since the bottom is so thin. The push in work great on pvc pipe. I found mine on ebay by searching and if i remember correctly they had both
Jon

Hi, I mentioned I would make a little mobile coop.

Here are my efforts, most o the material I had laying about or was salvaged fro the local hard waste collection.

Wheels are former BBQ wheels mounted on a swinging axle so it's is high enough to move around comfortably, but lays flat when swung back.

Two different sized roosts at different heights

Layed out and closed up.

I also made a little grit feeder the other day, sort of like a mini feeder from a tub and two lids. Haven't got any pics of it, next time I am down there with my phone.

Just began work on a little brooder box too, will put some pics up when it's done, nothing fancy just cheap and practical.

Hi, I mentioned I would make a little mobile coop.

Here are my efforts, most o the material I had laying about or was salvaged fro the local hard waste collection.

Wheels are former BBQ wheels mounted on a swinging axle so it's is high enough to move around comfortably, but lays flat when swung back.

Nice looking coop.

I love this Thread! My husband builds all kinds of stuff for me and I feel very lucky to be married to such a smart guy
love.gif

I have these poop troughs in 2 of my bigger coops. They work so well and keep my coops clean for a long time. They have doors that I just park a wheelbarrow under outside the coop and push the poo out.

900x900px-LL-059af632_48894_roost_an_trough_2.jpeg
900x900px-LL-6bbcec83_48894_roost_an_trough1.jpeg

Some nesting boxes he made me for my BLRW coop

Some awesome feeders that hold 80 pounds of feed so I don't have to feed more then once a week. And the small one is for grit and oyster shell. I have a bunch of these type if feeders in all my coops

Heres the big one full of feed. I purchase locally made feed that comes in 80 pound bags so thats why he makes them this size, he even makes the bottom tapered so that the feed slides up.

Here he is making me another BIG coop a few summers ago.
LL
LL

Heres a latch that he made for my coop doors on my smaller breeder coop condo. Its hammered copper pipe that he brought home (free) and a BIG huge screw he also uses at work, and he ended up getting ride of the white pull handle an making a copper one to match. I should take a photo of the finished product its really nice looking! Almost a little to nice for chickens!!

Heres a chick brooder he made for me

And he put it on wheels so its easy to move.. I now hatch to many chicks for it so hes made me a bunch of different brooders using rabbit cages.

Theres so much more that hes made around here. He loves to make things for free and out of crazy stuff or build me something when we can't afford to buy it.

Omg your coop, Its so clean!!! lol I try to clean mine out once a month (I have 5 hens, 1 rooster so it takes a while to get dirty) but mine doesn't look nearly as nice as yours!

NICE! I'm gonna try and build my own coop for my birds but I was wondering do you treat the wood with something to weather proof it? And is plywood ok to use? My family sells fireworks and thats what we used to make the stand but I can't imagine that holding up to the weather too good without somekinda wood treatment

NICE! I'm gonna try and build my own coop for my birds but I was wondering do you treat the wood with something to weather proof it? And is plywood ok to use? My family sells fireworks and thats what we used to make the stand but I can't imagine that holding up to the weather too good without somekinda wood treatment

paint works - plastic based primer and enamels

Omg your coop, Its so clean!!! lol I try to clean mine out once a month (I have 5 hens, 1 rooster so it takes a while to get dirty) but mine doesn't look nearly as nice as yours!
Thanks! Well its brand new there... :) over 3 years ago. Its not that clean now... I am going to white wash it this spring and Its easy to keep clean with the linoleum floor though.

Back
Top Bottom