DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

This design came from a poster in the fermented feed thread. It works fabulously, almost zero waste on the floor. I changed the angle though so it is tilted and I did not glue the ends on to make it easier to clean out.

One of them tried climbing on it and it didn't work at all and our little dinosaur didn't try it again.

Last edited:
So no invention yet.... but... months ago it was recommended that I buy an impact drill for my next invention... so my DH got me one for Christmas (it's what I asked for! :) ).. I have only put like 4 screws in since then (too cold for real projects) but man, I just wanted to say that was a great recommendation! I just put 2 long screws into a 2x4 stud tonight, and it was so easy I thought I was doing something wrong!! Can't wait until spring to build something new!
I just realized... to make it chicken related- I was 'installing' the old homemade chicken feeder to be used as a cat feeder for the barn cats. So far so good, it works great... let's just see how badly they gorge themselves!!
Anyhoo! Thansk again!

found the coolest thing. its a small aquarium heater totally encased in plastic and about 5 inches long and 1 inch thick. It's for 5 gallon aquariums but keeps a 2 gallon bucket of water from freezing without a problem. I've got one in the goat barn and one in the coop. So nice to not have the water freezing every morning - whoopee - and only 15 dollars at pets mart.

found the coolest thing. its a small aquarium heater totally encased in plastic and about 5 inches long and 1 inch thick. It's for 5 gallon aquariums but keeps a 2 gallon bucket of water from freezing without a problem. I've got one in the goat barn and one in the coop. So nice to not have the water freezing every morning - whoopee - and only 15 dollars at pets mart.
pictures?

I LOVE my aquarium heater! Nothing better than those if you're using a deep enough water source to keep it submerged.
highfive.gif

Since I'm not using a bucket this year...I really miss mine!

Last edited:
Great thread! ok, I have two things to show you. I made my hawk proofing out of cloths line and cable ties. I stained the rope, let it dry, then put it up. I also made the perch you see in the run. It's made out of my son's old crib!!! You sadly can't see the top because I threw a tablecloth over it to give the girls something to get out of the rain. I normally don't have it on there. Old cribs are a dime a doz. My big girls like it, my silkies don't use it of course. Everyone loves to go under it though.

My next project is a lean to, one side for food, the other for dust baths. I'll be making it out of pallets :)

Can't wait to see more on this thread!!!!

How did this work for you since installing? Any losses?

Back
Top Bottom