DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Hello,

Wow, I haven't thought of this thread in awhile, nice to see so many awesome ideas.

My Coop has changed a lot since I wrote that including many more buildings. The one thing that has not changed is the rope roof. It is not only still standing just fine and surviving all the crazy weather but is STILL keeping hawks out. I ended up placing tall posts (trees) under it and tenting it up. This makes it much easier to move around comfortably. If I had to do it over again I would say build it high so you can stand and such. I like the crisp lines before putting up the poles (trees). I can try snapping a pic soon, wayy to cold to go out there now :)

Hello,

Wow, I haven't thought of this thread in awhile, nice to see so many awesome ideas.

My Coop has changed a lot since I wrote that including many more buildings. The one thing that has not changed is the rope roof. It is not only still standing just fine and surviving all the crazy weather but is STILL keeping hawks out. I ended up placing tall posts (trees) under it and tenting it up. This makes it much easier to move around comfortably. If I had to do it over again I would say build it high so you can stand and such. I like the crisp lines before putting up the poles (trees). I can try snapping a pic soon, wayy to cold to go out there now :)

I'd love to see a current photo!
caf.gif

Hello,

Hi KrazyKhick!

Many thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear that you are still hawk free! We are plagued with hawks here and have really been debating whether to use deer fencing or something like your method. It is great to hear your method has worked so well with flying predators.

I'd love to see a pic when things get thawed out! It is crazy cold here as well (Michigan) and we've worked hard just to keep paths cut through all the drifts in the yard.
smile.png

Many thanks for taking the time to update! It is greatly appreciated.

No problem! I have lots to show when I can. Leah's mom-I will post pictures for sure.

My husband automated our chicken coop door, which really has NO rival. I absolutely love it!!!!!!!!! Part of that was building a sort of portico to protect the door from the elements-the girls love that. He has also built a nursery for all my broody mommas. This spring I am hoping for that lean to, still don't have that one, lol. Oh and I got inspired from the posts on growing things for your girls to eat that I closed off part of the run area to grow sprouts/grains then I can let them in to "go nuts" without having to watch them (I stand outside with them when they roam free). I am on a serious note to paint this spring too so it looks as nice as it really is, lol.

On a sad note I just lost my OG (original girl) she somehow choked on something-at her age you'd think she'd have that down pat. She was only 4.5 sad. I keep looking for her when I go out to see them. She was such a gift, you could call her and she'd come running like a football on sticks ha ha ha. She was my singer too. I could sing out and she'd sing back. Ahh...who knew chickens could take a hold of your heart like that do.

Michigan is no joke this winter. I'm in Massachusetts, neither one of us are going to be warm for awhile :)

Elanor, my OG

No problem! I have lots to show when I can. Leah's mom-I will post pictures for sure.

My husband automated our chicken coop door, which really has NO rival. I absolutely love it!!!!!!!!! Part of that was building a sort of portico to protect the door from the elements-the girls love that. He has also built a nursery for all my broody mommas. This spring I am hoping for that lean to, still don't have that one, lol. Oh and I got inspired from the posts on growing things for your girls to eat that I closed off part of the run area to grow sprouts/grains then I can let them in to "go nuts" without having to watch them (I stand outside with them when they roam free). I am on a serious note to paint this spring too so it looks as nice as it really is, lol.

On a sad note I just lost my OG (original girl) she somehow choked on something-at her age you'd think she'd have that down pat. She was only 4.5 sad. I keep looking for her when I go out to see them. She was such a gift, you could call her and she'd come running like a football on sticks ha ha ha. She was my singer too. I could sing out and she'd sing back. Ahh...who knew chickens could take a hold of your heart like that do.

Michigan is no joke this winter. I'm in Massachusetts, neither one of us are going to be warm for awhile :)

Elanor, my OG

Oh, I'm so very sorry to hear about your OG dying. How sad! Beautiful girl!!

I'd *love* to hear about/see pics of your automatic door. Sort of obsessed with them right now looking online!
caf.gif

You all have probably gotten more snow than we have. My dad's side of the family lives just outside of NYC and they have been dumped on there (snow on the sides of the road is up at 20 feet at this point). We aren't that bad, but the bitter cold + great-than-average snow has made this an exceptional winter for us. Looking forward to when you thaw out!

Oh, I'm so very sorry to hear about your OG dying. How sad! Beautiful girl!!

I'd *love* to hear about/see pics of your automatic door. Sort of obsessed with them right now looking online!
caf.gif

You all have probably gotten more snow than we have. My dad's side of the family lives just outside of NYC and they have been dumped on there (snow on the sides of the road is up at 20 feet at this point). We aren't that bad, but the bitter cold + great-than-average snow has made this an exceptional winter for us. Looking forward to when you thaw out!
Santa got me an auto door for X-mas. Works great a real life saver literally. Feral cats had been getting in at night and I haven't had a loss since it was installed.

Santa got me an auto door for X-mas. Works great a real life saver literally. Feral cats had been getting in at night and I haven't had a loss since it was installed.
Which auto door did you get?

And...feral cats!!! We have so many around here, it's not even funny. Add that to the possums, raccoons, foxes, coyotes, hawks, etc., etc. We basically live in Predatorville! :)

It was from Fleming Doors. The door came with solar battery and sensor. It was super easy to install I only had to drill 2 holes to run wires. The cats are the only thing that is a real problem for me. Wire buried at the fences keeps skunks and coons out, netting for the hawks and eagles, and a mastiff for the stray dogs, foxes and coyotes. Unfortunately my dog likes cats and lets them walk right by.

Back
Top Bottom