Do all young hens start off laying small eggs?

Quote:
I picked that up from one of those videos the commercial operations sometimes produce. They did not mention what age they let them start laying, but that probably depends on breed, such as leghorms may start earlier than brown egg layers. It would be interesting to see what MacInAbilene had to say about it, since he /she is a commercial organic operation and has a lot of valuable insite in that end of it.

In my flock,I have had both.Some have started laying small eggs and gradually gotten larger and some started out with good sized eggs. I also do not mess with artificial lighting, Let them lay when they lay as RidgeRunner said
thumbsup.gif

I was wondering about that too.

I had a bunch of chicks hatched from my birds around Halloween. Is it possible for a BO pullet that young to lay a "pullet egg"? Seriously, I found two thumbprint sized eggs in the coop... but that was before I got rid of the older hens. I was wondering if it was the pullet or if it was one of the older hens being weird (I haven't gotten micro eggs since our last batch of chicks reached laying age).

? Lol, these are TINY eggs I got. LOL I haven't cracked them open yet though, I don't know if they have yolks or not. Most of the tiny eggs we got just had a speck of dirt in the middle.

:)They lay small eggs at first because they are new to it and it somthing when their stomach grows there eggs have more room to grow wich make them bigger

My girls took forever to start laying, they were 9 months old. However, the eggs were large right away. Once in a while we get a smallish weird shaped one, but not too often:)

Back
Top Bottom