Do chickens destroy your lawn?

stephbaldwin

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 5, 2013
if you let your chickens roam your lawn will they destroy it from their pecking and scratching? the people we are renting from seem to think they will completely destroy it but I have friends who let their chickens roam all over their lawn everyday and their lawn is fine.

We have 22 chickens that free range everyday in 1/2 acre and yes they destroy our yard
hide.gif
scratching and dust bathing... but we don't really care
lol.png

Our chicken pasture is destroyed near the coop. Anywhere that the chickens are for a good portion of the day, especially when the ground is soft, will be destroyed. When I let them out of the pasture, they don't do much to the lawn, but that's because they have the whole 1/4 acre garden to destroy.

Chickens are plant destroyers.

Depends on how you define the word "destroy"!
idunno.gif

Personally, I would not want our chickens around the house and manicured lawn to scratch and dig in the flower beds and poop on the deck, sidewalk, and parked cars! Free ranging is great for the birds and best within a fenced area where you can control the "destruction".

I have 22. Our lot is 130'x150'. They have been let almost outside every day for 3 years, even in the snow, (only days they aren't are when we are out of town and our little "chicken sitter" is in charge) and aside from them turning one small area that used to be pretty wimpy flower bed into a dust bath area we have had no issues.

That said, in your situation I don't think I'd want to be pushing against the landlord too hard. He's letting you have some, which is more than many would do, and asking you to protect the property he's renting to you isn't too much to ask, in my opinion. Our chickens are a lot like our dogs - just because we love them doesn't mean everybody else has to.
wink.png

I have always maintained that a chicken owner's best friend is a good run. Yes, they'll decimate the spot it sits on in short order, but if you can reassure the landlord that you will return that spot to it's original condition (in writing, if he insists) and then do that, you'll sure go a long way toward being able to enjoy your birds and your good terms with your landlord. That, in turn, will help the next renter on that property who might want some chickens and give you a good reference if you move and would like to take your chickens with you.

Mine, as I said, are out most of the time and have the entire yard to wander in. But the run I have for them is the best part of my setup. Bags and bags of dried leaves, (little twigs even included), maybe some chopped straw, although not too much of that, grass clippings, garden prunings...whatever you have on hand. That will form a great compost, prevent odors, and give you a nutrient rich spot to replant grass when you leave. Win, win!

Ours find a soft spot, dig a hole and with every use the hole gets bigger since they constantly dig under the sides. Our lawn looks like a moon scape with craters every where. Long story short, no more chickens free range unless someone is there with a stick to keep hem away from the lawn......

I have 10 chickens that forage daily on 3/4 acre. They dig only in and around the existing flower and garden beds. They scratch and peck in the grass, but not enough in any one area to damage the grass.

They dig some significant dust baths, but the periodic rain washes the soil back into the holes for the most part, so they can start over.

If you don't have flower beds for them to bathe in, a dust bath as was suggested will work well. A shallow box with sand, wood ashes, potting soil, and such will work well.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom