do chickens stay in their yard ?

I just began free-ranging my flock, for the first time this week.
They have all lived in the coop and run their whole lives, and know this to be home.
My yard is about an acre, half of which is forest. They wander all over that land, even in only the few days they have been at it.
They do not stay "in the yard" at all.
They do come immediately to the sound of me shaking the feed bucket, knowing something yummy is about to hit the ground.
I don't leave them out as late as bedtime, and tend to bring them in a couple of hours before dusk, or earlier, if I can't be home to "listen" for them.
It has cut back on their feed, but while the hens do come home to lay, they tend to lay less eggs while out free-ranging, than when they are kept in their run. They have never layed anywhere but their coop in nest boxes, so I am confident they aren't laying anywhere else (yet).
Best of luck with yours!!!

Quote:
Oh my gosh! I have a full grown white turkey with a massive wing span. Well lately she has been following me around the yard like my shadow. The other day I went to the garden to pick a green pepper and she followed. Well I went back to the coop and she didnt realize it till I was heading for the house. Well she came running at top speed, wings spread open, making a rachet as if she was saying "hey wait for me! I'm coming, wait. wait!" All I can do is laugh, to see this 25+lb turkey running after me "talking or yelling"! My girls go running cause they think she is after them...lol. I tell them that she is not chasing them, they don't have the treats!
wink.png
But even when I don't have treats, she still comes running like a jet plane, for as big as she is, she could out run me! And I am a runner, part-time.
cool.png

I clipped mine. The white leghorns especially liked to hop the fence & wander. If you let them out I would start with about an hour before dusk. They will/should go in the coop on their own at dusk. Thus, no chasing!! I frequently bring out treats for my hens so they basically wait at the gate for me & follow me around. Makes for easier rounding up if it ever needs to be done, and easier wing clipping!! Good luck
big_smile.png

Maybe,some will.But bantams like to brood and may brood and other areas.My hes have no problem crossing the road and going to the fields.

Back
Top Bottom