The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

Why don't you dampen the food a bit? Mine seem to prefer the softer texture, too. AND, you waste less food since the dust is incorporated with this technique.

Pretty much impossible to do with my setup, since their feed is in one of those feeders that can hold a lot of feed (am I making sense?). So by dampening the food, and putting it in one of those, it'll dry out and be impossible to eat before they get to it

Pretty much impossible to do with my setup, since their feed is in one of those feeders that can hold a lot of feed (am I making sense?). So by dampening the food, and putting it in one of those, it'll dry out and be impossible to eat before they get to it
Ah, okay. I know the type you mean.

Is this also the case for the chicks? Maybe just give *them* some moist food?

Ah, okay. I know the type you mean.

Is this also the case for the chicks? Maybe just give *them* some moist food?

I use the same for the chicks, yes. Currently only 6 are willing to eat from my hand, so giving them some directly (sort of) is pretty much off the table

Great! What a great idea, too! You all can claim a chick, if you have some sort of feeling that it once was the egg you adopted!
You mean Grace from Grace Jones?
Fabulous singer and she does resemble a chipmunck a tiny bit.
Vibing Grace Jones GIF by Arrow Video

Last edited:
An a different note, paranoia incoming: sooooo the chicks have been sneezing. Pretty much all my batches have sneezed, but as usual, I'm slightly worried. They eat, they drink, they sleep, the warm up under the brooder plate, the sneak attack their siblings, they try to fly, they jump, they run around, but they sneeze. I'm confident it's their food that's making them sneeze (since it's very dusty), but I need to be sure. It also doesn't help that they are in a cardboard box, instead of the usual open-air outdoor brooder. My adults sneeze from time to time as well, and I know for a fact that their sneezing is caused by the dusty food, I just need to make sure the same applies for the babies. No runny noses/beaks, no odd stool, Tzatziki's pasty butt is gone, nothing else unusual. Just sneezing sometimes
Don’t worry.

Make the food wet. Just add some water. The chicks love it when it’s a paste. Use a plate or a bowl to put it in.

Sometimes its the bedding. Lay an old bath towel on the floor this first week. It has a good grip and no dust.

I had sneezing chicks too once. This was not from the food or the bedding.
The chicks were out in the rain and infected each other. But they all grew over it. I didn’t use medicines. The last one took 6 weeks to recover.

Sure! Τσουρέκι will be a black and white brahma mix chick with feathered legs (the other black and white doesn't have feathered legs. Don't have a good photo of Τσουρέκι, so I'll try to get one
Fluffy, will you pick a Freddie and Tsoureki for me? ❤️

tomorrow). This is your Freddie
20240428_135104.jpg

Don’t worry.

Make the food wet. Just add some water. The chicks love it when it’s a paste. Use a plate or a bowl to put it in.

Sometimes its the bedding. Lay an old bath towel on the floor this first week. It has a good grip and no dust.

I had sneezing chicks too once. This was not from the food or the bedding.
The chicks were out in the rain and infected each other. But they all grew over it. I didn’t use medicines. The last one took 6 weeks to recover.

I don't use bedding, only paper towels, so not that. I don't think they got something off the ground, or anything like that, since the brooder is indoors, and I wash my hands before and after handling them. They don't share anything with the birds in the coops. I don't know if wetting the food will work, but I'll try to do what I can. Not very easy with my setup, unfortunately (and having a plate is just not enough food for them)

Sure! Τσουρέκι will be a black and white brahma mix chick with feathered legs (the other black and white doesn't have feathered legs. Don't have a good photo of Τσουρέκι, so I'll try to get one

tomorrow). This is your FreddieView attachment 3816881
Awww 🥰 Thank you so much Fluffy. I’m keeping these photos. ❤️ Hi tiny Freddie!

I don't use bedding, only paper towels, so not that. I don't think they got something off the ground, or anything like that, since the brooder is indoors, and I wash my hands before and after handling them. They don't share anything with the birds in the coops. I don't know if wetting the food will work, but I'll try to do what I can. Not very easy with my setup, unfortunately (and having a plate is just not enough food for them)
Maybe you can put a little bowl with wet feed on top of the feeder.
Tom And Jerry Food GIF by Boomerang Official

Back
Top Bottom