do hens fight like roosters

It sounds to me like one of them is working for the "head hen" position.  In the absence of a rooster, one of the hens usually takes over the roosterly duties of watching for  predators and leading the flock.
Thanks. That's what I thought but I'm kinda missing the little guy. So I guess seeing my hens act crazy is making me second guess giving him away
1f614.png

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I've got a chick that a mixed breed from my flock. I'm guessing the mom is my Speckled Sussex. The rooster is a splash laced red Wyandotte. The chick is now 2 weeks old. I got two more chicks (a lemon cuckoo orp and a mottled java) from a friend so this one chick wouldn't be alone in the brooder. The two I got from her are 3 weeks old. Today I witnessed my little chick and the lemon cuckoo orp squaring off like roosters. Standing tall, puffing out what little feathers they have and kicking w/ their feet. I've never seen anything like it w/ a chick this age!
Furthermore my little chick seems to really like the mottled java and is already grooming her.

It'll be interesting to see what this trio turns out to be!

Interesting thread. I've got a chick that a mixed breed from my flock. I'm guessing the mom is my Speckled Sussex. The rooster is a splash laced red Wyandotte. The chick is now 2 weeks old. I got two more chicks (a lemon cuckoo orp and a mottled java) from a friend so this one chick wouldn't be alone in the brooder. The two I got from her are 3 weeks old. Today I witnessed my little chick and the lemon cuckoo orp squaring off like roosters. Standing tall, puffing out what little feathers they have and kicking w/ their feet. I've never seen anything like it w/ a chick this age!
Furthermore my little chick seems to really like the mottled java and is already grooming her.

It'll be interesting to see what this trio turns out to be!

Ha ha! Yes, they can certainly be interesting and different. Something got my Rooster this past Sunday, so my hens are now following the lead RIR hen around and she's keeping them all in line. I have two chicks, recently weaned from mom, who is now sitting on another clutch of eggs, that hang out together. No guesses yet on what they are, but if I had to pick, I'd say I've got one of each - pullet and cockerel. Both are white and crested (dad was a polish roo and mom was a white leghorn). It will be interesting to see what they develop into. Should have new chicks by the first week of September.

I'm seriously confused. My chickens are behaving rather aggressive they fight a lot. They were hatched in May. Any one tell if Roos or hens?

I have three mixed breed pullets (also hatched in May), and they definitely square off like roosters. They stretch up their necks, fluff up their feathers, and even charge at each other to peck. One of them sometimes gets up on the ramp to the coop, then flaps down at the other two to charge them with her feet. I don't have a roo, so they're just sorting out their pecking order and who will be top hen. It is pretty funny to watch, though. The three hens I had prior to this bunch did the same thing, though they were older when I got them and not quite as animated about it. I had a big Buff Orp who took top hen position, and she defended the flock for sure. Anyway, I'm sure they'll sort it out and calm down as they start laying.

I'm seriously confused. My chickens are behaving rather aggressive they fight a lot. They were hatched in May. Any one tell if Roos or hens?
Hi - if you had some pictures of them from the side and a bit closer, we might could venture a guess for you.

Ha ha! Yes, they can certainly be interesting and different. Something got my Rooster this past Sunday, so my hens are now following the lead RIR hen around and she's keeping them all in line. I have two chicks, recently weaned from mom, who is now sitting on another clutch of eggs, that hang out together. No guesses yet on what they are, but if I had to pick, I'd say I've got one of each - pullet and cockerel. Both are white and crested (dad was a polish roo and mom was a white leghorn). It will be interesting to see what they develop into. Should have new chicks by the first week of September.

Well, I've heard one of my two chicks crowing, and they look exactly the same, so I'd say they are both cockerels!

My RIR hen has been squaring off with my brown leghorn. The BL doesn't want to follow the RIR's lead, so they squabble.

Isn't it funny how we wonder, then when someone responds, they've already crowed or something to let us know? I was telling my husband on Sunday afternoon that I thought both of those chicks were cockerels because of the long tail feathers, etc. Then, Monday morning, early (still dark), I was going out to feed the horses before work, and I heard this rusty little teenager crow, then another one right behind it, so both of them were crowing! I'd never heard it before. By the time I went in the house, they were crowing pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom