do hens fight like roosters

I need help!! I am new to chickens and we just had our first egg 6 days ago! My dominant pullet is the one that started laying and squatting when I come to her (Winny). All my pullets were bought together as chicks and Winny seemed to be in charge. First one out of the coop, last one in. Now the other three segregate her when they are in the back yard. If she comes near the group, "Red" is attacking her. The three other pullets are not laying and "Red" is beating up "Winny". What in the world is going on? Can they sense that she is different? Thank you!!!
1f600.png

It's normal, pecking order issues. As long as they are not seriously hurting each other, let them work it out. Mine are older and most of them are from the same flock. They don't argue or squabble with the older hens, but do with each other, usually over food or if one is in another's favorite roosting spot. It usually ends when one runs away from the other.

You may have to pull the bully out if it gets too serious, or all of them are ganging up on her.

I have a White Leghorn female great laying egg chicken, but now she is fighting with a new mama hen and her 10 week old babies like rooster cock fights. IT scares the crap out of me. I am scared they will kill each other. Help?

I think that you are seeing the hens expanding their neck hackles. These feathers form an umbrella like circle of hackle feathers starting just behind their head. These feathers IMHO are expanded to make our little feathered Gladiators look bigger or more fearsome and dangerous. Why fight when you can win the pot by bluffing?
goodpost.gif
Well put!!!
thumbsup.gif

I've noticed my Delaware hen getting testy with everyone lately. Same type of behavior... flared hackles and a little bit of popping and pouncing, but these bouts last just long enough for someone to run off. My four birds are all about 6-7 months old now, and I think it's the Delaware fighting for a higher rank in the pecking order. She'll take pot shots at just about everyone for no apparent reason other than them standing in "her spot". Nothing terrible... my little silkie's still in one piece, so all good :)

Good was afraid I had lot of roosters
I am in the same boat i have 15 Buff Orpingtons, and they are about 3 months and they will walk around each other but some will stretch out there neck fluff the feathers go in a semi circle them leave. and that is it. i am now at the point trying to figure out what is what.

IMG_20180424_170544.jpg
We have four +-5 month old crossbreeds given to us as pullets. I suspect the large white and the bigger grey (both with combs) may be roos. They fight and chase each other a lot. No sign of eggs from anyone yet, but I'm pretty sure I heard a crow attempt a few mornings ago! Any ideas?
IMG_20180424_170532.jpg
IMG_20180424_170442.jpg
IMG_20180424_170356.jpg

Back
Top Bottom