do they look ready to lay?

pgrenna81

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Monson,Ma
Unknown age Red & Australorp are they close?

He will crow in the morning about 6:30 to 7:00 and once or twice through the day and maybe in the evening a couple times....he is very low with his crow and we usually miss it (he is still young)....we like to hear him crow and will miss it being inside the house usually. he is very mellow and just starting to mate....that being said he must be mellow because during his first mate season he isnt overly bearing...I got rid of the cockerel and things really calmed. When he tries to mate and a hen screams he lets her go....he wont over stay his welcome it seems. If he was too rough with the girls he would be with the cockerel.....lol and I would search for a good roo....he is really impressive with his warning too...I never knew roosters were so vigilant. I think were going to keep him....at first we didnt care much for roosters bullying the hens and being so bossy disruptive but he is good.

lol....I got my second egg today....it went from $2500 for my first egg(amount invested) and now that my second egg came along im down to $1250 an egg. cant wait until the compounding works in my favor.

I took the golf balls out and put a skillet in the nest.....maybe this will tell them I'm hungry ....I think the golf balls tell them I'm not going to be around because I'm golfing. Just a hunch! I also feel like the one laying is feeling pressure to lay because they don't get out until she does. :drool

Last edited:
Their combs and wattles are still pale and dry looking.
They will plump up and get much redder and waxy looking, you'll know it when you see it.

Back
Top Bottom