Do they poop more in the winter?

bawkbawkbawk

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Coastal Southern California
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but just checking to make sure I'm not imagining it.

Was away for a week at Thanksgiving, came home and have noticed there seems to be a LOT more chicken poo. It occurred to me yesterday that lower temperatures may mean that the chickens are eating more to maintain heat - I haven't measured the intake, but the out-go is significantly more than it was a few weeks ago! Right now I'm glad I only have four chickens...
tongue.png

It seems that way here too, but I think it is more of the fact that they are just inside more now. We got 1/2" of what is apparently white, fluffy, deadly nuclear fallout (and here I thought it was just the first snow of the year) and they will not set foot outside regardless of what kind of treat awaits them in the run. So all of the piles that were previously located outside are now inside.
sad.png

We're in SoCal so no snow, but it is definitely a lot colder than a few weeks ago. I guess they're coming in earlier because of the shorter days but the poo production just seems to have gone into overdrive!

Hope your girls get over their snow-phobia
smile.png

With 25 birds all thankfully using the roost, instead of 6 in the baby corner, I am so grateful that I installed poop boards. Winter will mean scraping every few days compared to once a week. The more they eat the more they poo. I guess that means more frequent trips to the feed store too.

I am thankful that I finally listened to the smart folks here and put in the droppings boards. Even with the increase in poop, it still only takes a minute to scrape the stuff into the bucket and the coop stays super clean. Last winter, without the boards, I had to clean the coop out every 2-3 weeks because it got just too messy. The savings in time and bedding are great.

Let's all give 3 cheers for Poo or Droppings Boards. Added less time freezing your butt off. Well I'm off to bring unfrozen water to the gals. Heated waterer looking much more attractive right now, but no money. Had a guy stop yesterday ( I'm thinking egg sale) to ask how I kept the water from freezing, I said I don't.

Quote:
yippiechickie.gif
Hiphiphooray!!! That's the cheer for dropping boards. Once you have them, you can't understand why everyone doesn't use them...
The ONLY thing good about the cold weather to me is that, as Lynne said, the poop is harder and easier to scrape up... Mine are hanging out in the coop a LOT more already.

Back
Top Bottom