Do you cover your turkey pens? If so, what do you use?

ChanceRider

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Somerset, CA
Because of the number of predators in our area, I lock my turkeys up at night in a very secure coop. During the day they have access to a 24' x 24' pen that can be divided into two 12' x 24' areas. I'd like to keep the pens covered to prevent them from flying out but have had little (or no) luck with the lightweight bird netting. If you cover your runs, what do you use? TIA!

we used a mesh netting that is actually designed to keep deer out of places...I dont' remember exactly what it is called, but it is black and plastic...sold at Lowes.

Thanks for the reply... I had seen some black plastic netting, almost looked like a large fishnet at a poultry auction but forgot to ask what it was and where they got it.

I hope our Lowe's has the same thing.

TOP RITE Aviary netting!
All on line poultry places have it, though I get all mine from Stromberg's Hatchery as they have the best price on it, about 1/2 of whta Mc Murry charges. It comes in all various widths lenghts and mess size. We use the 2 inch mess on all ours, it's about 1/2 price of the 1 inch and makes no difference on the top of an aviary anyway. It also comes in different pound test strenghts.
I wouldnt waste my time or money on anything less, as the cheap plastic types only last a couple seasons then they dry rot and you have to start all over again. This stuff is tuff! Last forever and have UV inhibitors in it to keep the sun form ruining it.
Give it a try, you wont go without it again
Aubrey

The Top Rite aviary netting looks exactly like what I'd like to cover the entire pen with, and then a tarp over about half of that to keep the pen dry during rains. We just had our first really good storm and the high winds and heavy rains took a toll on the old tarp that I had covering the pen. It was no surprise that the tarp shredded as it was old to begin with; I'd put it over the pen to give the birds shade during the summer.

Thanks for the great ideas! The Top Rite looks sturdy without being heavy, which is a huge plus.

Back
Top Bottom