Do you get chicken mites on you often?

Even though this is an older thread, I'll respond. I never had any luck with DE. I know some people swear by it but it hasn't worked for me. What has worked well is permethrin. It is also used as a spray to spray on clothing as a repellent though I have never bought any for clothing but I do buy it for use in my coops and on the birds when needed. Sevin isn't approved anymore for use on animals. Poultry dust usually has permethrin in it. It works. It doesn't kill the pests eggs so repeat weekly treatment for 3 or 4 weeks is necessary as the pests eggs hatch out. These are the products I have used with great success. Good luck to all who have had issues with mites and lice and other pests (flies).

Attachments

• GordonPoultryDust - Copy.jpg
    GordonPoultryDust - Copy.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 0
  • permethrin spray - Copy.jpg
    permethrin spray - Copy.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 0
  • permethrinDust - Copy (2).jpg
    permethrinDust - Copy (2).jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PermethrinSpraya.jpg
    PermethrinSpraya.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 0
NEVER had mites or lice here either. Use DE all the time.

Also spray down perches and nest boxes with citrus oil every few months. The little critters won't go near it and it will kill mite eggs if you already have a problem.

Bells, I'm a fan of the 5% sevin for the elimination of lice and mites. If used properly it's safe and you already know it works, without any problems. I like a regular dusting program twice a year Spring and Fall, as well as adding to the flocks dusting areas. I've never had any lice ,mites, or sick hens. DE in the lungs is just as dangerous as sevin and masks should be worn when using either.

bigzio

Never had issues here either - I also use DE.

I just throw some in the run now and then - where they dust bathe......

I've always used sevin, though I can't remember the last time I had a bird with lice. I've never had one with mites, except once I bought a bird at a swap meet that had scaley leg mites. She was a silkie, and I never was able to get rid of them completely.

I thought mites were "species specific"...meaning chicken mites wouldn't get on people. Guess that's not so...

Chicken mites will not complete the life cycle on a human, but they will sure try. They can make you really itchy. Get some Tea Tree Oil shampoo and keep it around, have a shower with that use it as shampoo and body wash if you have mites on you.

I love DE and my chickens have it all the time but it will not prevent or cure red poultry mites. Lice it works on great. I gather from some that it works on the other types of mites but sure never helps in this area. Rotenone is the organic safe way to kill them off, Sevin is not to be used anywhere near food so assuming these are egg layers in your flock don't use Sevin. All birds need to be dusted at once and again 10 days later to get effective control as eggs will have hatched out. After that just as needed. Putting some cedar in the bedding is good too, not more than 10% or it can be irritating to the chickens but bugs sure don't like it. When it's hard to find I just use cedar oil, most aromatherapy places or essential oil dealers have it.

Common sense is your friend here, to think that 5% sevin in the nests isn't safe is bad information here. It is used in the garden on garden produce with some guidelines. I don't believe there is anyone here that hasen't bought produce in a grocery store. I assure you it has been sprayed with 5% sevin, and you are ok?

People who promote DE need to realize that other methods of prevention work also, and in most cases better, while your methods work well, mine do too. Strong arm anti-5% sevin dust isn't necessary.

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom