Do you let your chickens out in the rain?

But mom, I don't want to go inside!

Mine have a tractor and if they choose to stand in the rain rather than hide under their coop or go in it than I'm not crawling in their to stop them!

DogCatChickMom--Don't forget, your baby chicks will need a draft-free brooder at the appropriate temperature for their age.. It's different with chicks that are with Mama--she regulates their temperature so you don't have to!

Last edited:
The girls love the rain and I'm pretty happy about that, it's the only way three of them get a bath that isn't dirt based. This year's chicks are starting to come around to liking it. The first time it rained on them they made a pile and just cried like the world was ending, glad they're growing out of that. :)

ok good to hear. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong by letting them out in the rain. I'm on LI and the rain has been insane here. Is it bad if they go back in the coop with damp feathers?

The way I designed my coop and run my will have a chance to venture out in the rain, snow, cold etc. I have a bottom access door and will leave it open during the day and close it at night, what they do is up to them. I also have my run in the lawn and the woods so they have protection from alot of the elements.

If you grab a chicken after she's been out in the rain and feel her feathers, you'll see that her skin is actually dry. Chicken feathers are water resistant and very insulating. If your chickens want to go out in the rain, let them. Some like it, some don't.

I would say put shavings in the coop and sand in the run. Although I've never tried sand in the coop--some people swear by it.

Back
Top Bottom