Do you let your children watch you butcher a chicken?

Our kids started helping in the kitchen at an early age and as my husband hunted, processing was seen from a young age. My daughter loved it and always wanted to help. She would go hunting and bag herself a large amount of bunnies (stuffed animals) and whistle around the house and act like her Dad. My son wasn't as into hunting. He prefers to sit and read, eat the cookies and later eat the proceeds. As a kid, it was part of living on a small farm. I was the animal lover so I could catch any of the animals to bring to slaughter. My son said sure Mom, they like you so they come to you. I said, it makes it less stressful on the animal. Now we have our own small farm and I have other friends who have their own flock. So we have a butchering party and butcher all our chickens together and divy up the meat. That way if one is a pet or favorite, you don't know what meat that is. My Dad used to say "doesn't so and so taste good?" At first we would cry but then it became a competition. My pig tastes better than yours. Dad used this as a lesson to toughen us up and that we raised the animals to eat. The dog and cats are the pets that we don't eat. I also have 2 friends - one has their kids help the whole process and they love it - started about 3 years old - it may just be using the garden hose to wash the chicken. The other friend also had them help and whenever they eat chicken, they ask is this "and they name one of their chickens". They enjoyed the animals but also enjoy the eating of the animals. They also used the butchering to teach them the parts of the animals (kind of a biology) - teachable moment.

I have 2 children, 11 and 14. When it's time to process, my 11 year old helps pluck, and my 14 year old is the gizzard girl(cleans and prepares the heart, gizzard and liver for packaging).
They both started helping at around 9 years old.
I do not have them assist in the actual killing, but they are present. They know the way we raise and process our food is much more humane than at any commercial chicken factory.
When they were younger, they did not see the killing, but were allowed to help in any way they were comfortable after the fact.
They are both knowledgeable and comfortable with how food arrives on our table.
They were not ever forced to participate or watch, just allowed to help when they expressed interest.
smile.png

Quote:
I've worked for two different companies in my life that were in the poultry industry. Once at a processing plant and once at a hatchery. I much prefer the hatchery. At the processing plant the smell of death was overwhelming.. and it clung to your clothes, hair and skin. The entire time I worked there I couldn't eat chicken because it all smelled like death to me.

Do you let your children watch you butcher a chicken? My children are 37 and 40 years old and both watched and helped at the age of about 2. Every one of our grands have watched and helped butcher chickens from the time they were about 2. In my opinion it's absolutely ridiculous to over protect children in areas where protection is not necessary. We have several generations of ignorant sissies in the USA and that ain't good. I said ignorant not stupid.

I learned how to kill chickens only as an adult, but I learned from two women who did so with the help of four fairly young children. When I did it for the first time on my own (just three roosters) my 5 year old son wanted to watch. My husband was really apprehensive and full of doubt, as was I, but then I figured it would be a great learning experience. I did end up letting him watch and he was fascinated/grossed out but in a good way for he asked his friend next door to come over and watch and they both ran around singing "that's disgusting" while giggling. He then went on to proudly tell anyone who would listen how his mom killed roosters and made stew.

Quote:
x2 i am a child ( teenager really ) and I've raised and seen animals be slaughtered. It's not really that life altering negatively speaking and i agree that children shouldn't be over pretected when it comes to that. they should to know where their food comes from in order to respect it.

Our kids helped kill and butcher everything from chickens to cattle. They grew up mighty fine people.

Way we did it, was if the animal was a pet, put a garland of flowers around neck, pet and make over them and give them their favorite food. When they put their head down to it, pull trigger. (A pellet gun against chickens head does fine.) That way they go straight from heaven to heaven.

The last time I slaughtered a bird was our Christmas Turkey. I let the kids watch. It's their choice. Watching what happened made them really appreciate the meal, because they knew the turkey. It connects them more closely to the food chain and makes them more respectful than if meat appears on a plastic wrapped foam tray from the supermarket.

The video of them plucking the turkey is here.

My daughter started to watch and help with the slaughter of chickens and ducks when she was about 3.5 years old.

She helps me to pluck them, and sort the gizzard, liver and heart from the intestines.

She said that she doesn't want to watch the meat rabbits slaughtered though.

If your kids want to watch, let them. It's important that kids learn where their meat comes from.

This thread kind of reminds me of a TV program we watched a few years ago. It was 20/20 or 60 minutes I think. There was a segment about hunting in the Pacific Northwest and some protesters were voicing their opinions of killing wild animals for food. One of the "20 something" protesters was interviewed and she said that it is totally immoral to go into the woods and take an animal's life. She said (with a straight face) 'why can't these morons just buy their meat at the grocery store? No animal has to be killed that way'.

But on the other hand, I have hunted with guys who will shoot at almost anything whether they want to keep it or not. Now that is just wrong no mater what animal it is. I always tell them my feelings on this and I make it a point to never hunt with them again. Trophy hunters tick me off also.

God has provided these creatures for our nourishment and we should always respect that.

Back
Top Bottom