Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

Yep. Makes sense to me. Do you ever have trouble with the sharp cut ends cutting your chickens? I know that they cut my hands up when I work around them.

I use Ivermectin on my horse quite often, but I don't think I would feel comfortable using it on the chickens if there is a chance that it could be toxic for them.

People who never worm chickens either have tunnel vision, or are in denial, or dont care, or are ignorant to the fact that chickens get worms. Educating these types of people is like talking to a wall. I'd bet if they had a bellyful of worms they'd go running to the ER.
The bottom line is if the chickens feet touch the ground, they'll get worms.

OK I didn't know this- so it is just inevitable.

I was thinking I was just one of those unlucky ones LOL with worm problems.

Last edited:
Yep. Makes sense to me. Do you ever have trouble with the sharp cut ends cutting your chickens? I know that they cut my hands up when I work around them.

I use Ivermectin on my horse quite often, but I don't think I would feel comfortable using it on the chickens if there is a chance that it could be toxic for them.
No, I just cut them flush.

-Kathy

I'm about to do an experiment with the paste, but I will use a safe amount. The proper dose will not harm a chicken, but I don't know how much is toxic.

-Kathy

2x, maybe 3x the 0.2mg/kg dose is what I'll be using. It'll be like giving a 1250 pound horse two or three tubes instead of one. Fear not, *many* people give 10x-11x the dose to their birds and have no side effects.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Last edited:
Quote: That syringe looks smaller than the one I've got, which contains 6.08g of product. Regardless, according to the info you posted, the proper dosage for a bird is 200 mcg/kg, which is equivalent to .45 mg Ivermectin for a 5 lb.chicken, so your pretty close on your calculations. As for Ivermectin not being likely to treat worms, I found information that it does, which is why I looked for it when purchasing a de-wormer. Here is what I found:
05-10AviagenWorms1.gif

Quote: My syringe is also 6.08 grams.

I also saw that picture, but then I read this:

Quote:
Abstract

To evaluate the use of ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic, 29 White Leghorn hens naturally infected with Ascaridia spp., Heterakis spp. and Capillaria spp. were treated with 0.2, 2 or 6 mg/kg intramuscularly or 0.2 or 0.8 mg/kg orally. Faecal samples were collected before treatment and at autopsy, 2, 6, or 16 days after treatment, when the intestines were also examined for helminths. None of the treatments gave satisfactory anthelmintic results.

-Kathy

Many peafowl people have lost their peafowl to capillary worms thinking that ivermectin will treat them. Even this book says it will:
Capillary worms

-Kathy

That syringe looks smaller than the one I've got, which contains 6.08g of product. Regardless, according to the info you posted, the proper dosage for a bird is 200 mcg/kg, which is equivalent to .45 mg Ivermectin for a 5 lb.chicken, so your pretty close on your calculations. As for Ivermectin not being likely to treat worms, I found information that it does, which is why I looked for it when purchasing a de-wormer. Here is what I found:

You'll notice Albendazole is more effective than Ivermectin too in every case on that graph. The fact is Ivermectin is not nearly as effective as many claim it to be. There are much better choices.You'll find links among this thread which disprove the graph posted in regard to Ivermectin:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...isinformations-graphic-pictures#post_14266841

Back
Top Bottom