Does anyone actually have a friendly pet rooster?

I have one Black copper maran rooster that has never been nasty. He has actually been a pretty good experience being the first rooster I've owned and raised from a chick. Always is the first to come running up to me when He sees me coming. He always follows me when I pick up a hen just being protective of the flock. Also very easy to pick up and Never has attacked. He had gotten stuck in his shell on hatching day and luckily I rescued him out.
DSC01527.JPG
DSC01356 (3).JPG

I have one for sure rooster and a possible second. The definite one has never been super friendly with me. He will jump in my lap but moves away quickly if I move. I'm ok with that as long as he doesn't try killing me later. The possible rooster is as friendly as the known girls, but it took longer. I don't force anything on them. When they argue over food, I give them a sharp no and it ends. So I'm hoping they understand I run the show.

A rooster adopted us about 3 weeks ago. I have had chickens in the past but not now. The week that he showed up it was cold and raining so I made a little pen for him in the garage, gave him some chick feed and some bird seed (he's young, big but young, he's just starting to get his long tail feathers) I let him spend the night in the garage and go out during the day when it's not raining. I made him another pen in our woods but he doesn't like to be in that pen, it's about 10'x10', I put a dog house in there and put a tarp on it. So I let him out of there, he comes up to our front porch or back porch to sit with my dog and me. The dog made friends with him. (dog is also young.) When he's on the porch he preens or just lays down on a bench, he looks very content to look out to the yard. If I get up and walk in the woods he follows me and forages in the leaves for bugs and worms.
If I go in the house he stands by the door which is glass so he can watch me, still looking content. In the evening when it's time to roost I open the garage door and he goes right into his pen as though he's been doing it all of his life. He enjoys his garage pen, but not that outdoor pen.) I don't know what to do with him. If I continue to leave him loose during the day a hawk will get him for sure.
I really don't think I want to get more chickens to keep him company, but I enjoy having him around. I have asked several neighbors and keep thinking he'll just leave on his own.

I have one for sure rooster and a possible second. The definite one has never been super friendly with me. He will jump in my lap but moves away quickly if I move. I'm ok with that as long as he doesn't try killing me later. The possible rooster is as friendly as the known girls, but it took longer. I don't force anything on them. When they argue over food, I give them a sharp no and it ends. So I'm hoping they understand I run the show.

I have lots of pet roosters. All of them are really friendly and display zero aggression towards me. That is because, unlike most breeds, they have been bred for close human interaction for thousands of years. Instead of being bred for things like egg production, meat production, weird feather color, or the presence of genetic defects like dwarfism, skull deformities or feather anomalies. I often have people drive great distances to buy a pet rooster for their children, knowing that the breeds that I have have a very slim chance of turning aggressive toward their kids, also knowing that they will probably live well into their teens.

I have lots of pet roosters. All of them are really friendly and display zero aggression towards me. That is because, unlike most breeds, they have been bred for close human interaction for thousands of years. Instead of being bred for things like egg production, meat production, weird feather color, or the presence of genetic defects like dwarfism, skull deformities or feather anomalies. I often have people drive great distances to buy a pet rooster for their children, knowing that the breeds that I have have a very slim chance of turning aggressive toward their kids, also knowing that they will probably live well into their teens.

Thank you so much for your reply!!! I've had chickens before and I don't know if I want to get into the whole hen house thing again. But this is a really nice rooster. I've had rooster that are nasty, they are usually that way when they are young too. I really don't know if I have that right. This rooster likes to go to his pen in the garage at night but I made a pen outside and he is not happy, he paces. Is there a way to make his environment better? Would another rooster make him happy? He loves company, if I'm in the pen with him he's fine. He even likes to be with our dog. When I let him out of the pen he comes on the porch in the front or back. It's a little pathetic. I don't know what to do for him. I know how to feed hens but what should I feed a rooster? Picture attached.

Attachments

• Mr Chicken.jpg
    Mr Chicken.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom