Does anyone else hate 50 pound bags of feed?

I only have 4 chickens (right now ;)) and I get 40lb bags of food because larger bags are harder to carry. Looks like I need more chickens to get rid of the food in a more timely manner. They forage so much that I feel like the food lasts forever :(.

Who'd of thunk it??? At the feed store, I heard one of the employees talking to a customer about putting baking soda in a bag of layer crumble. So... of course, I had to ask what that conversation was all about. It seems that there's a new fad: Folks are using chicken feed + baking soda for kitty litter!!!

If I had a kitty, and did that, my dog would think she'd died and gone to doggie treat heaven. She loves chicken feed, and would snack on cat poo. So... SNICKERS!!!

Who'd of thunk it??? At the feed store, I heard one of the employees talking to a customer about putting baking soda in a bag of layer crumble. So... of course, I had to ask what that conversation was all about. It seems that there's a new fad: Folks are using chicken feed + baking soda for kitty litter!!!

If I had a kitty, and did that, my dog would think she'd died and gone to doggie treat heaven. She loves chicken feed, and would snack on cat poo. So... SNICKERS!!!
:lau:gig:yuckyuck

OMG I love this post! Especially after I had a dog get out of my yard after eating the chicken feed again! Cat poop is a highly prized thing!

Last edited:
Thanks @lazy gardener I almost spit coffee on my Puter !

Why would people do that??, just get the horse bedding pellets. Way easier and not much smell. I get mine dampish first to swell and then scoop like normal. But some just leave them whole -- hard to get poop out withe the scooper that way.

No, no PDZ. I get the Spruce ones (some have Hemlock and other wood) or Pine if I can get it. About $5 a bag or cheaper in NH - shoot hay is more $$$
It is cheaper then the Wood stove pellets I think and easier to get the Pine.
You can leave them whole as some do, but poop picking is harder. Plus one of my cats won't go in it like that. I think she thinks it already has poo in it :barnie Princess.....

I prefer 40 lb bags, as they are much easier for me to handle. Luckily most organic feed is in 40 lb bags. I really dislike when I purchase local mash, as they are 80 lb bags! I am old, but never had much arm strength even when I started out 25 years ago! I always use a hand cart to get it to the coop, so only have to lift out of my van & lift it a foot into the coop. I then scoop out about half of it into my barrel & then pour the rest. Used to fill the barrel & lift it up to the shelf it sits on in the coop, maybe 2 1/2 feet high. Can't do that anymore, so I do the scoop method! Luckily my sons bought me a really heavy duty hand cart I had been eyeing for years. Previously I used a small aluminum job that didn't do nearly as well. Something DH had gotten from his job years ago!

I prefer 40 lb bags, as they are much easier for me to handle. Luckily most organic feed is in 40 lb bags. I really dislike when I purchase local mash, as they are 80 lb bags! I am old, but never had much arm strength even when I started out 25 years ago! I always use a hand cart to get it to the coop, so only have to lift out of my van & lift it a foot into the coop. I then scoop out about half of it into my barrel & then pour the rest. Used to fill the barrel & lift it up to the shelf it sits on in the coop, maybe 2 1/2 feet high. Can't do that anymore, so I do the scoop method! Luckily my sons bought me a really heavy duty hand cart I had been eyeing for years. Previously I used a small aluminum job that didn't do nearly as well. Something DH had gotten from his job years ago!
I am always impressed when I buy feed at the mill and the guys in the loading area throw a sack on their shoulder like it's nothing. Ours is 50# bags, thank goodness not 80! And, I like that they still use paper. We don't yet have a recycling option for those woven plastic bags.

Hell we are going through 2 50 pound bags every 5 days. Once the chicks get bigger I’m calculating around a little less than a bag a day even with free range. Luckily I just found a mill not that far away that makes organic non gmo feed for a surprisingly good price and I can get them in 1 Ton totes. A ton of feed should last us around 2 months if we are lucky.

Back
Top Bottom