Does anyone else hate 50 pound bags of feed?

I use a kid's plastic snow sled in the winter.
Mine works in the summer as well ;) And with respect to lifting the bag to pour it into the can: I use 10 gallon cans. Pull the string out of the upright bag, stick the can over the top and tip the whole thing over. Works pretty well.

I am always impressed when I buy feed at the mill and the guys in the loading area throw a sack on their shoulder like it's nothing.
I had a guy come out with one 50# bag on each shoulder! MUST have had someone out back load him up. No way I could carry 2 at once in any form.

adkhunter1590 can you send a link to the mill? If the price is good enough it might be worth the ride. only 2 hours south east of you....

http://www.stonehousegrain.com/index.html

They are located in Hudson, NY. They don’t have their prices on the website but they will email you their price list. The GMO free layer mash I’m looking to buy is going for $18 a bag or for $590 they sell it in 1 ton “totes“ as they call them. This drops the price to $14.75 per 50 pounds. From what the lady emailing me describes them as they sound like the commonly used AG bags that have a fill hole in the top with a opening near the bottom to drain the feed from as well. We will be picking up one of these totes here very soon and storing it in our garage until I can get a grain bin at some point. They also do bulk delivery for 3tons and up. Price is a little less that way but you’ll have to figure in delivery fees. Since I’m not all that far, bull delivery might be the way to go for us in the future. But for this year I think the 1 ton totes will be fine until I can find a grain bin cheap, they pop up on Craigslist every now and then for a good price. Regardless, I haven’t found anywhere else around here that can come close to those prices for GMO free feed, and buying locally sourced feed makes me feel better about doing my part in supporting our local economy!

http://www.stonehousegrain.com/index.html

They are located in Hudson, NY. They don’t have their prices on the website but they will email you their price list. The GMO free layer mash I’m looking to buy is going for $18 a bag or for $590 they sell it in 1 ton “totes“ as they call them. This drops the price to $14.75 per 50 pounds. From what the lady emailing me describes them as they sound like the commonly used AG bags that have a fill hole in the top with a opening near the bottom to drain the feed from as well. We will be picking up one of these totes here very soon and storing it in our garage until I can get a grain bin at some point. They also do bulk delivery for 3tons and up. Price is a little less that way but you’ll have to figure in delivery fees. Since I’m not all that far, bull delivery might be the way to go for us in the future. But for this year I think the 1 ton totes will be fine until I can find a grain bin cheap, they pop up on Craigslist every now and then for a good price. Regardless, I haven’t found anywhere else around here that can come close to those prices for GMO free feed, and buying locally sourced feed makes me feel better about doing my part in supporting our local economy!

If you have a vehicle that can manage the weight, you can get a chain hoist or a block and tackle to lift it out of your vehicle and drive out from under it (if you ceiling trusses can take the weight). Here is a video about a good, compact block and tackle system.

If you have a vehicle that can manage the weight, you can get a chain hoist or a block and tackle to lift it out of your vehicle and drive out from under it (if you ceiling trusses can take the weight). Here is a video about a good, compact block and tackle system.

That’s a good way to do it. We have a truck that can handle the weight no problem and until we buy our new tractor this summer I’ll have my neighbor come over and unload the tote for me with his tractor. Can’t wait to take delivery of the New Holland we will be buying here shortly!

Thanks, Hudson is not all that far and 1 ton isn’t much weight for a 1 ton truck! Now to get a few of us together to make the trip worth while, Without the feed sitting to long and spoiling! 2 or 3 stops would make the unloading much easier, a little at a time!

Thanks, Hudson is not all that far and 1 ton isn’t much weight for a 1 ton truck! Now to get a few of us together to make the trip worth while, Without the feed sitting to long and spoiling! 2 or 3 stops would make the unloading much easier, a little at a time!

Nope that would be no problem for a 1 ton truck. I’ll be hauling my ton is a half ton F150. I think it’s technically overweight but I do it all the time with corn and other stuff. Plus I only have 28 miles to go so no big deal. Buying in bulk sure can save a lot of money. Splitting it with friends will make it a really cost effective way to feed for you

Hell we are going through 2 50 pound bags every 5 days. Once the chicks get bigger I’m calculating around a little less than a bag a day even with free range. Luckily I just found a mill not that far away that makes organic non gmo feed for a surprisingly good price and I can get them in 1 Ton totes. A ton of feed should last us around 2 months if we are lucky.
You should consider moving down her to the Colonias, land is around 4-8k/acre and the free range runs 12 months a year.

You should consider moving down her to the Colonias, land is around 4-8k/acre and the free range runs 12 months a year.

Free range all year sure does sound nice. I’m a pansy when it comes to the heat though. I lived in NC for a bit and I hated the summer time there. I like our 4 distinct seasons here in NY but the taxes and cost of living here is getting out of control. After the kids are out of school and the wife sells off her fathers oil company, we will most likely be headed to the mid west. I lived in Kansas for a few years and loved it. Also spent a lot of time in Iowa and wouldn’t mind buying a large farm their either. Wherever we go, it’s going to be on a massive amount of land. Until then we grit our teeth and deal with Ny while planning and saving for the future!

Free range all year sure does sound nice. I’m a pansy when it comes to the heat though. I lived in NC for a bit and I hated the summer time there. I like our 4 distinct seasons here in NY but the taxes and cost of living here is getting out of control. After the kids are out of school and the wife sells off her fathers oil company, we will most likely be headed to the mid west. I lived in Kansas for a few years and loved it. Also spent a lot of time in Iowa and wouldn’t mind buying a large farm their either. Wherever we go, it’s going to be on a massive amount of land. Until then we grit our teeth and deal with Ny while planning and saving for the future!
Move to WV! My parents got a 130 acre farm for about $200k. That is where I'm living.

Back
Top Bottom