Does every ebay seller charge outrageous shipping?!?!?!??

I charge $12 cause I use flat rate postage, I find that using the smaller boxes and trying to keep the cost down puts my eggs at risk, so even just 6 go into a small box with tons of padding and then into the medium flat rate box with reinforced sides and bottoms and lots more packing material. even my smallest shipment of eggs come in a box weighing over 4 lbs or close to it so I find the flat rate works best cause it can be as heavy as I want
smile.png
I charge the extra $2 for my time since it takes me about 1/2 and hour to pack them up.

If it is a large amount of eggs sometimes I charge $15 cause I use the large flat rate box.

On the other hand I seem to be the only person on eggbid that offers my birds at $30 priority (with new box) if you are in a close state, I can never understand charging $60 and up for something that usually costs 2/3 of that.

I understand that, though I don't agree with it. I ship several boxes weekly, most of them use the #4 priority box. I have excellent hatch rates, and very very rarely do I ever have damaged eggs. I don't ever use flat rate boxes. But it still wouldn't cost $17+ to ship 16 eggs!

I just sent some eggs yesterday, using the #7 box that is bigger than the large flat rate box. 100 quail eggs and the shipping was a little under $8.

Last edited:
NO! I take the average between the cheapest and the most expensive. It evens out in the end. For small quantities of eggs, I use calculated shipping costs. Any "extra" money is used for the puchase of packing materials. You don't have to worry about me charging extra to make an under-the-table profit.
tongue.png

Quote:
No they don't, We sell on ebay alot. Last weekend we sold a dozen + Muscovy duck eggs. They went from the east coast to the west coast, zone 8, the actual shipping cost was 16.37 for a 4.2 pound #7 shipping box the kind that you get from the Post Office or from Ebay, it is 12 X 12 X8. The buyer bought 12 eggs we sent 16 eggs. Our shipping price for the auction was $16. So right off the top we lost .37 cents off that auction.

We package very carefully.

Each box is packed with packing peanuts

http://cgi.ebay.com/32-CF-240-Gallo...in_0?hash=item3ca50f4a0b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Large bubble wrap on the bottom and top of the box
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290339160939&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Each egg is wrapped in a sheet of small bubble wrap
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110423500491&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

For a dozen + eggs it costs us roughly just over 3 dollars in packing material. The time packing isn't included, the gas to the main PO, (out of my way to work isn't included), I drop the eggs off on the way to work so they get to the buyer faster so I get to work late on Monday mornings, (every Monday morning during shipping, my boss is a great guy) the 15 to 20 minutes off my lunch time that I have to make up isn't included.

In this years shipping we have gotten reports of 3 cracked or broken eggs out of a 1000 + shipped so the shipping method works, people get good hatches so the packing works. Yes it does cost more. And I respectfully take offense that ebay sellers charge outrageous shipping.

If anybody that wants to buy our eggs and wants cheaper shipping please let us know and we will use egg cartons, newspaper, tissue paper to pack your eggs in a medium flat rate box, the shipping will be $9.85 anywhere. (actual cost) Hopefully some of the eggs won't break in transit and might hatch for you.

Sharon

In the defense of eBay sellers: I generally charge $15 for shipping eggs and sometimes I ship 20 eggs and it costs me $11.00, but just yesterday I was charged $15.05 for shipping the same amount to Arizona. It depends on the weight and where it is going. This doesn't take into account the materials I buy to safely pack my eggs, the egg cartons themself, my gas to drive to the post office, etc. Then eBay charges me for the sale and Paypal charges me for receiving money. On Monday's sale, even though I sold 20 eggs for $5 plus $15 shipping, I only made $1.50 not counting my packing materials. I would have done better to sale my eggs for eating. I hope people realize that though I am on eBay and I charge $15 (maybe more now) for shipping, I am not raking in the big bucks. Just another perspective to offer.

I must be doing it wrong--------I've been giving away my surplus eggs for hatching to anyone that wants them. But I have mutts that I've been breeding for years so not many people want them not being a well known breed name and all. "Idea" I know, I'll name them Darkmatter's Deluxe and sell them for $50/dozen, I won't be able to keep up with the demand.

I never understood charging separate shipping. Just start the bidding above what it will cost to ship an offer free shipping. People will still pay what they are willing to pay an no arguing over how much went to shipping.

Quote:
How do yall do that????? I just used a 7x7x6 box at the PO yesterday. (priority box) not for eggs and my shipping was $11.60!!!! I should have used the medium box for cheaper. I dont think my PO knows what it is doing. LOL

Back
Top Bottom