Dog Attack --photos

Today I went to Walgreens and they did not have the Chlori... Product but, I gave her the Epson salt bath and pulled away the feathers that were starting to get dried into the wound , and she is eating her worms!

I just found on MEDSCAPE.com:
"Animal and human studies have shown hydrogen peroxide to have no negative effect on wound healing."

I felt
So bad...
She's at the point where she's stinking .. And I had to put her outside -- it dipped down to 43 but sh is in the plastic tote w warm fabric on top for air-- sigh -- I just don't know where I'm going to keep her for healing! **** weather (the bad dog was needing th garage while it rains - since he has old man peepee issues - but his owner is sending a cloth diaper in the mail so he can hopefully come inside today-- then Hen can have garage)

This sounds like the point in recovery where my chicken started stinking. And yeah, the smell was pretty bad. The warm salt water rinses twice a day really seemed to help. I used one teaspoon table salt, the fine stuff, in one quart bath temp water and gently poured it over her to really rinse the area. Oh, and I had a spare quart of warm, non-salty water to rinse her after I let the salt water sit on her for a couple of minutes, just in case the salt left her stinging. Just figured I'd rinse off the salt in between the treatments. But that's just what I tried. I'm no pro. (I just read that Epsom salt is gentler on skin, but when I used salt water treatments on stinky wounds, I read to use table salt. I imagine either will help.)

I don't know if you've got access to a feed store that sells tetracycline hydrochloride (Duramycin for many, but that's not the name on mine) and I don't even know that she'd need it, but that was something I gave mine in the hopes that she wouldn't get infected. No matter what you've got access to, I'd say that with a caring human on the job she's got a good shot at healing!

Hope it works out to keep her warm. I read somewhere that 80 to 85 degrees F is good for convalescing chickens. When the temp got below that for me, I did the same thing and covered part of her crate with a blanket. Chickens are good and tough, so whatever you can do, she'll take it!

Will be thinking of ya. : )

Last edited:
She sure enjoys boiled eggs, I'll try to get an update photo on here for you guys soon. Can't say she looks any BETTER, but her attitude/spirit seems to be good, so we're trekking on.
I can't imagine how this gaping wound will ever 'scab over' but time will tell!
Any ideas on giving her a water dish that doesn't get tipped or pooped in too easily?

ALSO!!!*** Her wing is broken, I'm sure of it... Does that heal?

Thanks

Chicken nipple waterer on the cap of a water bottle works well. As for broken wings, it will heal but she might not be able to fly up to high perches as well. It's not a big deal for most chickens.

So sorry to inform - lady Destiny passed away this morning after her salt bath - I didn't do enough for her -- or she just had too much damage - :(

Back
Top Bottom