Dog attack. When to cull? (Graphic pics)

I have a question along these lines. The night before last we moved my buff brahmas (6weeks old) into their new coop. It wasn't complete so they were sectioned off from the main part for safety reasons. Yesterday morning two of the females have had their tails pecked completely off and there's even bone showing on one.
1f622.png
Im guessing the lack of room and the move stressed them to the point of pecking. I have the two injured ones inside the house in a dog cage now but I'm wondering if I'm just torturing them by keeping them alive. One of them is a runt that I had to dropper feed for the first couple days so I'm really attached to her (Faith) but would hate for her to suffer more. I scrambled them some eggs and they're just starting to peck at them this morning after not eating all yesterday. Any suggestions? The wounds look absolutely horrible and it breaks my heart just looking at them.

You should read this thread from the beginning if you haven't already done so. There's a lot of helpful info in it. To me, your chickens' injuries don't sound like peck injuries. They sound very similar to the rat bites my frind's hen had.Only you can decide when to give up or not. Good luck with the decision.

It was definitely from pecking. The coop is nearly water tight so there was no way a rat/mouse could've gotten in. Thanks for telling me about the rest of the thread. The pics were helpful to see that my girls have a chance!

They really do heal quite fast - disinfect by spraying with Vetricyn if you have it, and remove/separate so others don't peck the wounds. This time of year, don't forget about the risk of fly strike.

I came home to find Puppy (my chronically wandering Naked Neck pullet) in the Cream Legbar coop. Their paddock is well fenced, so she had to WANT to get in there (she flies well). She was in there with the rooster, Dumbledore, and had a great big deep gash on the back of her neck and a gash on her earlobe. I opened the door and she came out and walked up to me (that's the reason she's called Puppy) - I took her in and tended her wounds (no other injuries) and put her in the brooder.

My original assumption was that the rooster tried to mount her, although when I found her there, he was keeping his distance from her and just watching her. But Lissa (CL hen) was a little freaked out and not wanting to use the nest box (keeps trying to find a way to lay in the sand box under the roosts). I got close enough to get a look at her, and she had a small swollen wound on the side of her face near the beak, blood on her comb, and what can only be described as a shiner.

If I have to guess, I now think that Puppy got in, started exploring, pecked Lissa off the nest, and Dumbledore defended Lissa. Note that Puppy (a Naked Neck) is the same size or larger than the Cream Legbar rooster - much bigger than Lissa.

Anyhow, I have enough experience to know that pretty bad wounds heal amazingly quickly - Naked Neck pullets get them on their featherless heads and necks from amorous and clumsy cockerels while their skin is still fragile. I would just put some Pick No More on the wound and leave them in the coop. But this time of year there is the risk of fly strike (more flies around, and they can lay their eggs in the wound, leading to maggots - I have NO desire to have to learn about how to tend that first hand). When my Dumbledore was badly wounded, the vet had me keep him indoors until the very last scab fell off because of fly strike, since his injuries were extensive and he didn't have the protection of feathers over the back half of his body. Soooooo, I'm keeping Puppy indoors right now until she's healed. She's doing well, healing nicely and quickly, but bored out of her mind. I try to keep her company - she's my friendliest girl.

- Ant Farm

It was definitely from pecking. The coop is nearly water tight so there was no way a rat/mouse could've gotten in. Thanks for telling me about the rest of the thread. The pics were helpful to see that my girls have a chance!

could you post some pics and describe there symptoms like if they are still eating drinking calmer than usually things like that. Keep the wounds clean and put triple antibiotic cream or Neosporin on them twice a day and in between let it air to help it heal.

Back
Top Bottom