Dog attack. When to cull? (Graphic pics)

Quote:
Triple antibiotic is fine - it's the stuff with the pain reliever that's supposed to be bad for them - they can't handle/metabolize the lidocaine.

You didn't do anything wrong, I just know that I have the pain killer stuff in my medicine cabinet and would have grabbed that for tending a chicken if I didn't know better...

- Ant Farm

They're starting to perk up a bit. They're eating but not very much. I gave them honey water to keep their energy up and it's starting to scab over. I'll get a picture of their tails posted. They're still hopping around but they still look like they're in pain. This is what I've been using 3 times a day to keep it clean.

Last edited:

Here they are. The one that has the worst injury is actually the most active and vocal. The other hen is a lot smaller though and she had a rough start.

Ok at least it's scabbing over, so I would keep doing what you are doing and I would make some homemade electrolytes I have the recipe for it if you don't know how to make it. And you can make them some food such as scrambled eggs potatoes something just to help get some strength in them.

Ok at least it's scabbing over, so I would keep doing what you are doing and I would make some homemade electrolytes I have the recipe for it if you don't know how to make it. And you can make them some food such as scrambled eggs potatoes something just to help get some strength in them.

I wouldn't use potatoes.

I've made a slurry from their feed (grind in a food processor if pellets) and the electrolytes and had good success with it.

I've made them scrambled eggs a few days in a row and started mixing their feed in it today. I really want to get them outside in the sunshine but I'm afraid of fly strike. Do you think the skin will grow back over the one??? You can see her tail bone. :hit

I've made them scrambled eggs a few days in a row and started mixing their feed in it today. I really want to get them outside in the sunshine but I'm afraid of fly strike. Do you think the skin will grow back over the one??? You can see her tail bone. :hit

I do! I thought mine would never be the same but he grew in a lovely green tail!

Having trouble posting a pic, sorry! She may not look like she did before, but you'll still love her!! :hugs

Last edited:
I wouldn't use potatoes.

I've made a slurry from their feed (grind in a food processor if pellets) and the electrolytes and had good success with it.

I had used potatoes cook in the microwave for 2 minutes wrapped in a wet papertowel and mashed it up put a few drops of milk on it and some of the electrolytes mixture and they loved it.

Yeah! I hope so! Was yours as bad as this?? I've never had a pecking problem with my other hens and this was so bad.

Back
Top Bottom