Dog attacked Royal Palm hen, help please gory pic warning

ABS9590

Songster
6 Years
Feb 18, 2016
This is her back, she's in shock. I've brought her in and sprayed her down with vetericyn, what else can I do?

Attachments

• 20220415_203415.jpg
    20220415_203415.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 14
Update, read a post stating that she needs electrolytes, but she's not drinking on her own and if I try to syringe it in she's inhaling it
Gently washed her with warm water and antibacterial dawn then sprayed again with vetericyn. Pretty worried about the spot on the side, it looks deep but not bleeding heavily.

Keep her isolated in a preferably dark and warm place. Give her some electrolytes. If you don’t have any you can give her some sugar water, or some Gatorade. Give her some food. Scrambled eggs or mealworms anything she’ll eat to keep her stomach full. Let the wound air out so it’ll scab faster.

If you can’t stop bleeding cornstarch will do in a pinch.
Update, read a post stating that she needs electrolytes, but she's not drinking on her own and if I try to syringe it in she's inhaling it
Gently washed her with warm water and antibacterial dawn then sprayed again with vetericyn. Pretty worried about the spot on the side, it looks deep but not bleeding heavily.
Give her some time. She’s most likely in shock and not wanting anything to eat or drink. If she isn’t eating or drinking in the morning that would be cause for concern and you may have to force feed/water her. If it comes to that I may be able to help.

I can't see the wound too clearly in that photo, but seems like you're on the right track.
The first thing you need to do is treat for shock. Offer her sugar and electrolyte water, and dribble some on her beak if she isn't drinking. Set her up inside in a quiet room where she can recover.
Since you've already cleaned the wound, clip away any feathers, and apply a thick layer of Neosporin without pain relief.

Here are more pics
I have pantacox liquid and fish mox in 250 mg capsules

Attachments

• 20220415_211623.jpg
    20220415_211623.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220415_210633.jpg
    20220415_210633.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 7
Here are more pics
I have pantacox liquid and fish mox in 250 mg capsules
I have never dealt with an injury that sever before. Wow! Poor girl! Poultry are very resilient, I do hope this is something that can be fixed. Calling in the experts.
@azygous @Wyorp Rock Is there something that can be done here?

Thank you all for your help and responses! She's still holding on, not trying to move around. Currently in a box with a towel around it. Going to see if I can find a vet to help her in the morning. If not, will antibiotics help, which one, and how best to administer?

Back
Top Bottom