Dog eating chick poop

PeachyPeckers

Chirping
Jul 27, 2023
Suggestions to stop dog eating chicken poop.

My female, 12 year old border collie eats chicken poop, licks her vulva nonstop and gives herself a uti... then proceeds to wake me up every night at 2am cause she thinks she needs to pee. This is an ongoing issue with her. I don't care about eating the chicken poop, it's the obsession with licking herself and getting a uti. But unless she stops eating the poop, this is going to keep happening.

I had the chickens in a tractor enclosure for a couple of months and she didn't get to eat any poop and didn't have a uti the whole time. But as soon as I let the chickens free range, she goes at it again.

I tried giving the chickens pineapple to make the poop taste gross and it does work, but I can't remember to give them pineapple every single day, plus too many treats isn't good for them. Yall know of anything I can add to chickens water or food to make it gross to the dogs?

I'm just tried of being woken up at 2am because she has to go pee and I am tired of having to give her uti medication all the time.

My other dog eats the poop, but he doesn't lick himself constantly so he doesn't have this problem. He eats all the poop he wants and I don't have issues with it.

My female, 12 year old border collie eats chicken poop, licks her vulva nonstop and gives herself a uti... then proceeds to wake me up every night at 2am cause she thinks she needs to pee. This is an ongoing issue with her. I don't care about eating the chicken poop, it's the obsession with licking herself and getting a uti. But unless she stops eating the poop, this is going to keep happening.

I had the chickens in a tractor enclosure for a couple of months and she didn't get to eat any poop and didn't have a uti the whole time. But as soon as I let the chickens free range, she goes at it again.

I tried giving the chickens pineapple to make the poop taste gross and it does work, but I can't remember to give them pineapple every single day, plus too many treats isn't good for them. Yall know of anything I can add to chickens water or food to make it gross to the dogs?

I'm just tried of being woken up at 2am because she has to go pee and I am tired of having to give her uti medication all the time.

My other dog eats the poop, but he doesn't lick himself constantly so he doesn't have this problem. He eats all the poop he wants and I don't have issues with it.
Shame thus sounds like a pain. Try enclosing your chickens in a fence, it works well. Mine is electrified from nemtec

Shame thus sounds like a pain. Try enclosing your chickens in a fence, it works well. Mine is electrified from nemtec
Here's a picture of what mine looks like:

16913356856437001553209228353513.jpg

Of course I have already had extensive conversations and testing with my vet. She agrees it's from the chickens poop because the test shows ecoli bacteria every single time, and it doesn't happen when the chickens are locked in the tractor and she doesn't have access to the poop. She eats chicken poop, licks herself, thus introducing the bacteria... then continues to excessively lick herself because she's started feeling the symptoms of a uti, then positive for a uti. This doesn't happen unless she's eating the chickens poop. At this point my vet has gives me holistic, natural over the counter methods of treatment for uti because we don't want to do antibiotics again and again. I'm just hoping for something I can add to the chickens water to stop her from eating it. She doesn't eat it when I've fed the chickens pineapple (i believe this really does work) but I can't do that everyday.
Can you try adding the pineapple to their water? Or maybe just some pineapple juice or something would be easier to just pour into the water? If it works, I would keep doing it.

Can you try adding the pineapple to their water? Or maybe just some pineapple juice or something would be easier to just pour into the water? If it works, I would keep doing it.
I was thinking about that too. I'm not sure if it would make the water go bad if I leave for more than a day or if it would even be enough of an amount of juice to be effective. I'm probably going to try it and just make sure to check and smell the water every day to make sure it's not spoiled.

My suggestion would be to train your dog. Border collies are extremely intelligent and trainable. Find yourself some dog training books or videos (I am partial to The Art of Raising a Puppy, but your dog is probably too old for that).

A shock collar (doesn't actually hurt) is a training option. Dog gets zapped every time she eats chicken poo. Also take her around the poo and do positive reinforcement when she doesn't eat it. Dogs can be trained to do (or not do) almost literally anything. You have a very smart breed. It's just going to take a lot of time, effort and patience on your part.
I have tried training her on this. She just waits until I turn my back. Yes border collies are smart, and she is smart enough to know when I'm not looking or I'm not around lol she has done well when I'm outside with her but if I go into the house, I can see her from the window going right back to eating it. BC's are very smart indeed.

I have tried training her on this. She just waits until I turn my back. Yes border collies are smart, and she is smart enough to know when I'm not looking or I'm not around lol she has done well when I'm outside with her but if I go into the house, I can see her from the window going right back to eating it. BC's are very smart indeed.
Maybe an e collar could help with that. They have ones with just vibration or beeping and no actual shock. But you could use it to reinforce when you’re inside, the rules still apply. Beep her through the window. I did that with my last dog who would lunge at the chicken pen when I wasn’t looking so I just stood inside and used the collar and it was like WHOA THERES STILL SOMEONE WATCHING ME.

A shock collar would fix this quickly but many people think they are cruel. If used properly they are not. It’s cruel having a constant UTI IMO. That’s how I would fix it.

Back
Top Bottom