Dog / Human Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
You're thinking of it as a deterrent?

I've thought it would be useful for marking dogs, to settle questions of whether it was really THAT dog that was intruding.

(I have no actual experience with paintballs, so I don't know how it feels to be hit with one.)
Both actually

Without proper padding, on people it will usually leave decent welts. Not sure how decent hair would be as padding, especially shorthair dogs

I think the fact that it happened multiple times before is important. During a recent windstorm, a tree limb fell on the back part of our fenced property. It was big enough to bend the wire fence but not so big a branch that we noticed it right away. Our dog got out, & luckily we noticed within a few minutes & DH was able to reel him back. He then went out to check the fence line, discovered the newly fallen branch, and grabbed another fence panel to replace it. If someone had shot my (very people friendly) dog I would be upset as we are very responsible dog owners. Rare accidents like storm damage can happen. The problem lies with people who continually & knowingly let their dogs roam/break out.

OP has been speaking with their law enforcement. They have already shot a dog but since they and their young children live there and are planning to continue living there for some time, they don't want to cause unnecessary issues with the neighbprs. Hence why he hasn't wiped the pack out already.
Everyone chooses their own actions, based on what is most important to them.

They can also swear out a legal complaint or warrant. There is probably no fee for doing that, and law enforcement might be sympathetic. MO laws might hold that anyone can destroy another's property without consequences, or that the owner of a dog might not be responsible if the dog attacks livestock or people. I seriously doubt that, but it's possible. Sometimes the law really is an ass.

OTOH, the dog that killed my chickens looks like a cross between a lab and a Great Dane--well upwards of 100 lbs. He also jumped over our fence earlier in the year and was standing a few feet from my back door when he saw me out by the chicken coop and started barking at me, then started running at me in attack mode. I picked up a sizeable rock and started running at him. I let fly when he was about fifty feet away. I missed him, but it made him stop and change his mind about whose yard it was. I should have gone to the owner then.

My kids have flown the coop, so I'm not as worried, and I do know something about dogs. But if I had small children at home and a predator who might want to consider the place of his food source (my chickens) a place from which he would want to drive off competitors (small children,) I wouldn't be concerned, I'd be terrified for my children.

Dogs are very territorial, and have to be trained not to be dangerous to children. As a boy, I delivered papers when there was no collar or leash law, and got bitten at least a dozen times. Most dogs are fine. I like dogs. But they are pack-based territorial predators, and we should never assume that Fido is safe towards a strange child because he is friendly with his family.

Just reading through this thread... yikes. You have admirable patience and self control.

We've had dog problems with our chickens off and on for years, usually worked it out (more or less) peacefully with the neighbors. Our closest neighbor had a pair of wolf hybrids that used to run anywhere they pleased and killed all but two of our first flock. A year later (after our son was born) we lost another few birds and DH had a "come to Jesus meeting" with the neighbor. We could not allow it to continue knowing our child would soon be playing in that same yard. It ended better than expected, DH took over a load of rock with the tractor to fill in holes under his fence and (knock on wood) we haven't had any problems with his dogs since.
Other neighbors have been problematic too though. We've been told to "just shoot it" multiple times.
Our most recent incident involved what we assume was a new neighbor's husky. No witnesses or photo evidence, but we've seen this dog on the front half of our property multiple times, and no others in half a year or more. This time it came through our electric fence and nearly killed a goat. Brute even left his toy behind in my goat pen. Little goat pulled through, but I'm worried the dog will be back electric fence or no. I don't usually advocate shooting any dog, but I'm very appreciative that DH has birdshot at the ready.

Edit: Every Situation is different and IMO is best handled as such no matter how upset you may be, and I really appreciate your self possession in dealing with this. I just can't imagine not having the law on my side when it comes to nuisance animals on my property. It blows my mind that it is still legal there. Best of luck to you in future.

Last edited:
You have more patience than me dealing with these same neighbors dogs.
:(

The neighbors themselves still coming across. Will work on getting better evidence if it continues. A bag of eats and water bottles were left next to pond. No trespassing sign where they cross was down. It may have fallen on it own. I'm not clear on what law enforcement can actually do even if I present hard evidence. For those with more vinegar, SSS is not an option. Nor is setting traps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom