dog is KILLING all of my chickens!

Being a HUGE dog lover, I would not shoot it but figure a way to keep my flock safe. It is a natural instinct of the dog (a dog we had killed a neighbor's cat, our dog never went in the front yard again. We were so mortified by that). If it is a stray, animal control should be able to catch it and hopefully adopt it out or find the irresponsible owner. Once fair warning is made, then, what happens happens.

Nope - sorry - the minute your dog is on my property killing my animals it stops being your pet and starts being my predator problem, and I address predator problems on the spot. Most localities provide for the protection of livestock against harassment (which does not even have to include actual contact/attack - it can be as simple as a dog running a herd/flock, stalking them, etc - with legal protection for livestock owners who take lethal action against such animals. And, if it were my dog (which I make certain my dogs are not left to be at large and put others' animals at risk), I would have no issue with anyone taking whatever steps they felt necessary to protect their animals - the failure would have been mine in not keeping them from having to do so.
I'm not saying it's not legal to shoot, but you can bet if I was presented with a dead dog and a bill for dead chickens you would have to take me to court, but if you came to me and said my dog was harrassing/killing your flock, I'd chain my dog up until I could find him a new home and pay for the chickens,

I am the only one close with Chickens, that I know of, but even then, I keep a spare leash on hand to deal with any animal that isn't a danger to me or my family, allowing the owner at least one warning that the dog is a problem.

Dogs killing chickens is a touchy subject. If it were me, and I knew that it was a stray, the dog probably wouldn't make it off my property. If it only comes in the mornings, keep the chickens locked up in the morning. I would guess, though, that if you did that the dog would figure out to come later in the day when they get let out. If I had a predator that has come through more than once an killed my chickens, they would be confined until the issue was resolved. Period. Earlier this summer, the problem was our own dog. Chickens were locked up for a time, dog has had some training and time to mature. So far so good, but we still don't leave him unsupervised when the chickens are out.

And actually we found out that we are pretty sure it is a stray and it is always in the road and we almost hit it
Too bad you didn't ..... could have saved ammo!!
yesss.gif

Until the dog is contained, or unable to get into your yard, your chickens need to be confined. Put them in their coop. Do they have a run attached to the coop? Might be a good time to use it. If you don't have a run, you might want to talk to your dad about building one. The dog does not belong on your property, but now that you know there is a threat, it's your responsibility to keep those chickens safe.  

If practical get picture of dog and contact local authorities concerning matter. Most "feral" dogs I deal with are in fact pets that have owners I do not know so in the end pictures can help. Shooting can be employed but is not generally the best front-line defense and you have to be there and legal. Based on too much experience, other dogs will come down pipe so exclusion of dogs in general may need to be considered otherwise this type of problem tends to repeat.

I have the same exact problem with people dumping dogs. I've caught 4 in the past few years. Just catch him and call animal control. I wonder about all the people saying to shoot the dog. How many have actually done it? I bet not as many people that are telling you to shoot him.

I have the same exact problem with people dumping dogs. I've caught 4 in the past few years. Just catch him and call animal control. I wonder about all the people saying to shoot the dog. How many have actually done it? I bet not as many people that are telling you to shoot him.

I have done it and about the most un-fun way to deal with issue. Nor I did not employ the S-S-S which has helped greatly with preventing a repeat. A neighbor, also with poultry, has done the same and between us we are the parties most likely promoting better dog management in our area. The dogs can be out but they must not cause trouble for others.

Not everyone can go the shooting route as it takes considerable emotional control especially when dealing with humans in the community. If you are hot-headed, the S-S-S works better for that dog but in doing so you are doing only yourself a service an harming trust between neighbors. Neighbors need not like you but having their respect and ultimately trust makes for better long-term relations. Those dogs are like everyone in the communities kids; everyone needs to work together to keep them in line which can enable considerable benefits. My situations have been relatively rural but if you are where dog densities are much higher then dog confinement and use of exclosures (fencing / runs / coops / livestock guardians) may need to be the rule.

That's what I meant. Shooting dogs isn't for everyone, especially if it was dumped and doesn't have a clue what's going on. It just seems like a lot people are quick to shoot a domesticated dog that somebody screwed up.

I'm not saying it's not legal to shoot, but you can bet if I was presented with a dead dog and a bill for dead chickens you would have to take me to court, but if you came to me and said my dog was harrassing/killing your flock, I'd chain my dog up until I could find him a new home and pay for the chickens,

I am the only one close with Chickens, that I know of, but even then, I keep a spare leash on hand to deal with any animal that isn't a danger to me or my family, allowing the owner at least one warning that the dog is a problem. 

You're of a rare stock. My neighbors dilebetatly releases their dogs to my yard. (I over heard him say it 'cuts his dogs food bill in half.) I've tried to bring the issue up with him and was met with a shotgun the second he opened the door. I know next time, his will be met with the same response since when I have tried to shoo away the dog, he goes all cujo on myself and my family!

You're of a rare stock. My neighbors dilebetatly releases their dogs to my yard. (I over heard him say it 'cuts his dogs food bill in half.) I've tried to bring the issue up with him and was met with a shotgun the second he opened the door. I know next time, his will be met with the same response since when I have tried to shoo away the dog, he goes all cujo on myself and my family!

At that point you know he is a danger to you and your family. Not only are you protecting your flock by dealing with that animal(shooting or calling animal control) you are protecting your family and others. I'd be calling before the dog was released again, tell them the dog has attacked you and your family.

Back
Top Bottom