dog is KILLING all of my chickens!

My birds lives are just as important to me as my dogs lives. If my dog starts killing someones livestock and gets killed it would be my fault, not the livestock owners. I had to put my female basset hound in the coop with my chickens when she was in heat, some of the chickens would roost on her back, that is how much I trust her. If you don't want your dog shot, train it well or put it in a lot or on a chain. If your dog kills someones birds they have every right to shoot it, if it is on their property, and it would be your fault!!

You can't train a feral dog or a starving stray. Shoot it!

Actually, that's not true, and I speak from experience. I had a stray dig it's way under the fence and park it on the back of my property. When I found it, it was huddled under bushes and snarled if I got to close. Animal control won't come out where I live, so I have to deal with strays myself. This dog was terrified and starving, and was literally backed into a corner. The first time I got within 15 feet it snarled and snapped at me. I'll make a long story short - it took me almost an entire day to coax the dog out of the bushes. I spent hours just talking to the dog, trying to sooth it. Eventually it calmed down and I was able to lure it into a kennel using canned food. And this poor boy - I could see every rib in his body.

Did I risk getting bitten? Sure. But this dog wasn't acting aggressive because he was bad tempered. He was half out of his mind with fear, loneliness, and hunger. I only had two choices to get him off my property - shoot him, or gain his trust enough to trap him. I chose the second option. And once I got him in that kennel - that same snarly dog actually wagged his tail and licked my hand (through the door, of course). I don't think I will ever forget that dog.

Just because a dog is starving and/or a stray does NOT automatically mean it is beyond redemption.

(And this was not a commentary on "shoot it" vs. "don't shoot it." To each his own in that regard. I just wanted to point out that sometimes those "feral strays" were someone's pet once. Under all that dirt, fear, and hunger there might be a dog worth saving.)

My point was you never know when the neighbors kid down the street accidentally let the dog out and just like that you have a few dead chickens. Total accident with an otherwise trained dog.

I live in the country and in a county that has NO animal control officer. The first time you see a day old calf torn apart...the dogs aren't hungry, they like to play tug-o-war with living things. The dogs we have the most trouble with are "pets" that are allowed to roam. One from this house and one from that house. Once dogs pack up, pets or not, they can and often will, become predators. Last fall deer hunters on my closest neighbor's property heard dog's and a calf screaming. 3 dogs, all belonging to different people, were attacking it viciously. 2 of those dogs met the SSS criteria instantly and one got the same treatment a few days later, caught attacking a newborn calf. I have more stories if you want to read them.

My dogs have always been safely enclosed in a large area, bigger than most backyards, behind a chain link fence. The fur baby we have now is trained to stay within certain boundaries and is never loose by himself. At night, he is only allowed to go into the fenced back yard. He's small, only 11 pounds, so he could easily be coyote or bobcat prey. Rascal was also acclimated to our chickens...first in the house in the brooder, then outside with the chicks in their run and Rascal out. They are all friends now and he doesn't chase.

The last 2 strays that showed up caused me to keep my chicks in their coop/pen for several days. We, DH and I finally bribed them into our fenced area. One was a huge over friendly black monster, the other was a little chi mix female in heat. We drove a 40 mile round trip to get them to a no-kill rescue and then donated $$ to help.

However, those 2 were friendly and very recently dumped. I have a pellet gun, a .22 rifle and a big rifle next to the front door. Pellets work sometimes, but not often enough. You do what you have to do to protect your animals, your property, your family and yourself!
somad.gif

I live in the country and in a county that has NO animal control officer.  The first time you see a day old calf torn apart...the dogs aren't hungry, they like to play tug-o-war with living things.  The dogs we have the most trouble with are "pets" that are allowed to roam.  One from this house and one from that house.  Once dogs pack up, pets or not, they can and often will, become predators.  Last fall deer hunters on my closest neighbor's property heard dog's and a calf screaming.  3 dogs, all belonging to different people, were attacking it viciously.  2 of those dogs met the SSS criteria instantly and one got the same treatment a few days later, caught attacking a newborn calf.  I have more stories if you want to read them.

My dogs have always been safely enclosed in a large area, bigger than most backyards, behind a chain link fence.  The fur baby we have now is trained to stay within certain boundaries and is never loose by himself.  At night, he is only allowed to go into the fenced back yard.  He's small, only 11 pounds, so he could easily be coyote or bobcat prey.  Rascal was also acclimated to our chickens...first in the house in the brooder, then outside with the chicks in their run and Rascal out.  They are all friends now and he doesn't chase.

The last 2 strays that showed up caused me to keep my chicks in their coop/pen for several days.  We, DH and I finally bribed them into our fenced area.  One was a huge over friendly black monster, the other was a little chi mix female in heat.  We drove a 40 mile round trip to get them to a no-kill rescue and then donated $$ to help.

However, those 2 were friendly and very recently dumped.  I have a pellet gun, a .22 rifle and a big rifle next to the front door.  Pellets work sometimes, but not often enough.  You do what you have to do to protect your animals, your property, your family and yourself! :mad:  

Would love to hear your stories and experiences and how I can relate to you in some situations.

My point was you never know when the neighbors kid down the street accidentally let the dog out and just like that you have a few dead chickens. Total accident with an otherwise trained dog.

Trained as I realize involves safe around livestock even when accidentally released. Growing up we had expectations all dogs running about would leave livestock alone which was more likely than not realized. We did have the option of restraining or shooting problematic dogs. First option usually pursued, especially with dogs we knew owners of. Shooting was reserved for those we could not easily restrain or whose owner we did not know which was seldom.

In new location where I intend to stay long-term, I am working towards having others in community working as a community in keeping dogs on good terms with other folk's livestock. Step 1a is getting to know neighbors, step 1b getting up reasonable protections for birds on my property. Other steps come later but 1a and 1b done in the beginning and are never ending. Doing so promotes me getting help when needed as well.

This is overwhelmingly a "being neighborly" issue.

@Happy Feathers -

I'm sorry for your experiences with strays. I can't relate to those extremes - in 10 years of living in a rural area I've never come across strays that violent, nor have my neighbors. I don't have livestock (or didn't, until the chickens), but everyone around me does (cattle, goats, horses, chickens, etc.). Not sure why your experiences have been so bad but mine haven't - just been lucky, I guess.

Most of the strays that approach my house run as soon as they see me. If they aren't scared of me, usually my three large dogs pitching a fit is enough to drive them off. Very rarely the gate has been open, or they dig under the fence, and then I have to deal with them. In that case I do what you do - drive them to a shelter.

But if I had a violent dog on my property? Or a pack of dogs viciously attacking one of my animals? I honestly don't know how I'd react, because I've never faced it. In that circumstance I might end up shooting the dog for the safety of my own animals. Or, I might find another solutions. My point is that I'm aware that I've been lucky with strays (AND coyotes - they come right up to the fence at night), and I do live in the real world. Hugs and kisses aren't always the solution. I just like trying that approach first and have been lucky that it has always worked.

Your dog sounds exactly like mine - properly trained and socialized, acclimated to the chickens, and loved to bits
smile.png
. My girls are all microchipped, tagged, live in a fully yard, and are never - NEVER - left outside when I'm not home. I've done everything I know how to protect them and keep them safe. I would hope that if they ever got loose that someone would take the time to coax them into a car and drop them off at a shelter, but I wouldn't blame anyone for shooting them. I'd be sick to my stomach that someone would shoot a sweet dog just for being a stray, but I would only blame myself for failing to keep my dog safe.

I have 6 dogs, some rescues and some pure bred. I built a special dog pen behind my house for the dogs for a couple reasons. 1. To keep my dogs away from the chickens, as 1 did kill 2 chicks when she broke lose. 2. To keep my dogs away from the street as some people will intentionally hurt the dogs, my moms pug was poked in the eye with a stick by a kid walking by. 3. To hide my dogs behind the house as the pure bred's are Siberian Huskies and people would steal them in a heartbeat. 4. To put 2 fences between my dogs and the strays. Of my 6 dogs only 1 would fight if the strays attacked. I in no way want my animals near such sick, aggressive strays, so they stay in their dog pen or the house until its time to go somewhere in the car.

1 of my Siberians is a young pup that we are training for conformation shows. It is vital that he stays sweet, healthy, and scar free if he is to have a chance at championship. I have never shown a dog before, but I love it.not only am I with animals I love, but 1 of my sons is joining me for training and it's become a great way for us to spend time together.

I am a sucker for animals, on top of our 6 dogs we also have 5 spayed female cats that were strays or the kittens of strays. Now that they are part of the family, I would defend them to the best of my ability. Same goes for my chickens. I hate hurting animals in any way, but I won't stand by while something attacks my animals either. I did have a sweet dog break into my yard, a little male weenie dog mix that I rehomed quickly because he was chasing the cats. I found a small Pitt bull mix female, and found her a home with a friend of my neighbors, so we do get to see her every now and then. I also work with a cat rescue group, and have successfully neutered 3 tomcats and spayed 1 female cat stray and then released them. I provide food for the cats, so far none has gone for my chickens, ducks, and geese. But we lock the flock in secure coops at night, are home when the flock free ranges, and set cat food out at night for the cats. The cats have left presents of dead mice on my porch, which is a bonus for me.

But the large stray pack down at the end of the street is a different matter. They have killed dogs, cats, chickens, and bitten a human. They are mangy and sick. I would in no way take a chance with them. The risk of injury or disease is too great. So since I know most of the individual members of the pack, I would shoot to kill. I think in their situation it would be a mercy. But it's not an easy decision to make, and I blame their owners for doing this to those dogs.

Last edited:
For very dog that is supposed to be " trained" there's always a few that aren't quite. You guys are absolutely kidding yourself. That's like saying my kid would never do that. Lol Either way I agree for the most part. If it looks like a pet try to catch it. If it looks like a mangy stray them shoot it, whatever makes you feel better

Back
Top Bottom