Dog killed chick

If you are going to kick the dogs out of the house and into a kennel, maybe you should just find a new home for them. That solves your chicken problem.

My thoughts exactly. That - or 1. Stop free ranging your birds and coop them up or build a fenced area for them; or 2. Have realistic expectations and take the time necessary to train your pup. :pop Because it is not a "legit" LGD breed, you'll have your hands full….:old

GSD as in German Shepard? In any case what kind of gun, we live in Texas in the Country on a Private Road so we can have whatever guns we want and use them. We have a 9mm most for my protection of me and my children and we have an AR15 and regular shot guns. I'd be more than willing to do that if it works!

And if you accidentally hit the dog??

I kennel my hunting breed dogs in a very large kennel and coop my birds in a large run. Dogs are not allowed on human/bird side of the yard. Birds can be out only when I can be out with them as hawks are an issue.

Dogs of course sleep and laze about in the house a LOT.

I am thinking that the noise a wounded dog makes is unlikely to ever be forgotten..... Not to mention that a wounded dog will severely bite anyone trying to "help" it.

Personally if the first reaction is to dispatch a 4 month old pup for an accidental bird death I vote to rehome the little dog.

I am thinking that the noise a wounded dog makes is unlikely to ever be forgotten..... Not to mention that a wounded dog will severely bite anyone trying to "help" it.

Personally if the first reaction is to dispatch a 4 month old pup for an accidental bird death I vote to rehome the little dog.

Absolutely. I will agree with you once again. The first post by the OP is disturbing to say the least - "right now I hate her" - what kind of a person says that about a puppy who accidentally killed ONE chick - ONE chick, mind you, not a whole flock. The OP's rabid eagerness to use a gun on the dog only convinces me this is someone who lacks patience, common sense, and compassion - and honesty - probably shouldn't own animals of any kind. :fl:smack

I didn't read all the posts so forgive me if I repeat something someone else said! My grandpa took his dog out to his first chickens when she was still a puppy. He waited until the dog started to growl, and then he kicked her. I KNOW THAT SOUNDS REALLY BAD BUT WAIT TILL I EXPLAIN!!! He did it under her, (on the rib cage) and not very hard. He didn't use the toe of his boot either. He used the top of his foot. And it worked! She never killed a chicken!

However, my dog has killed five of my hens, and I decided that was enough. I liked that she was able to roam free, but it wasn't worth the life of my chickens. So now she is on a 100 ft dog zip line/runner during the day, and I let her off at night. Hope this helps!

Absolutely. I will agree with you once again. The first post by the OP is disturbing to say the least - "right now I hate her" - what kind of a person says that about a puppy who accidentally killed ONE chick - ONE chick, mind you, not a whole flock. The OP's rabid eagerness to use a gun on the dog only convinces me this is someone who lacks patience, common sense, and compassion - and honesty - probably shouldn't own animals of any kind. :fl:smack
A) You have ZERO right to tell me how I felt about that dog. If you read the bottom it said but then again I don't or can you not read? I was extremely freaking upset, she is still in our house which wasn't our choice in the first place. My husbands mom rescued her from the middle of the road and handed her over to us.
B) I know how to use guns, I've been trained, I practice and I know how to aim and it wouldn't be at the puppy. Are you going to crucify the person that originally said it? Am I not allowed to be upset that a chick that I raised for 10 weeks since day one of her life or are you just a chicken owner that only has chickens to lay eggs and doesn't give a crap about them?
C) I've owned animals all of my life. Never once have I killed one. Have you not heard the saying "I love you, but I just don't like you right now" she's only not dead because I told my husband not to. And don't you dare say anything about my husband. There are chickens everywhere in this area because everyone has big chunks of land and can own whatever they please.
D) you don't have to be a douche about it. Can you not recognize someone being upset? I have plenty of common sense. I did not hurt the dog, I did not kill the dog, we usually watch her like a hawk but my 13 yr old wasn't even thinking when he let her out and was already beating himself up over it, you wanna talk shit about him too?
E) if you don't have anything nice or helpful to say than don't say anything at all, didn't your parents teach you that or did they or you not have any "common sense"
F) if you're going to be rude on someone's post be prepared to have rudeness sent right back. :barnie:mad:

I didn't read all the posts so forgive me if I repeat something someone else said! My grandpa took his dog out to his first chickens when she was still a puppy. He waited until the dog started to growl, and then he kicked her. I KNOW THAT SOUNDS REALLY BAD BUT WAIT TILL I EXPLAIN!!! He did it under her, (on the rib cage) and not very hard. He didn't use the toe of his boot either. He used the top of his foot. And it worked! She never killed a chicken!

However, my dog has killed five of my hens, and I decided that was enough. I liked that she was able to roam free, but it wasn't worth the life of my chickens. So now she is on a 100 ft dog zip line/runner during the day, and I let her off at night. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your non rude constructive advice. I will probably get her a run while we wait to have a kennel built. She will get proper training as well

The dog wouldn't be wounded because I know how to use a gun, as does my husband and my 13 year old. We're not idiots. We wouldn't shoot directly at the dog just the the person who suggested it didn't aim directly at the dog.

If it were me, I wouldn't use firearms in that manner to deter the dog from chasing chickens. If you are a family that hunts or shoots regularly then you might not want the dog to learn that it needs to be worried by gunfire. If I were in your place I would want to gradually accustom my pup to gunfire because it might be more useful to have her NOT want to avoid it (like say, if you ever need to work WITH your dog to dispatch/deter a predator by using gunfire. There are plenty of other effective ways of teaching a pup that chickens are off limits. But that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom