Dog killed my only roo...........

Sorry, but the dog was just doing what dog's do.

Chickens need to be protected, even from our own dogs, cats etc...

I understand your feelings and am very sorry about the loss of your roo, but do agree with Mahonri, the dog was doing what they instinctively do.
Do you have a predator proof fenced area around your birds? Were they enclosed in this area and the dog broke in?
Is there a leash law where you are that the dog was violating?
Did you know who's dog it was, and inform them of what happened so they can do something about it?
If they don't do something about their dog, and have had fair warning then I can see you doing what you have to do, but if not and the chickens were just out everywhere with no protection as well was the dog... then it's no better killing their dog than the dog killing your roo.
Talk to the owner first please, then make your decision. Hopefully they'll pay for you to get another roo and keep the dog up so it stays out of trouble.
Sleep on it, pray about it and then act....
The saying two wrongs don't make a right fits too.
I'd hate to loose my beloved roo as well, but I'd also hate to think I shot some neighbor child's dog that was over here by mistake and knowing I didn't have my chickens enclosed to protect them. Accidents happen.
When you do something in haste, you almost always regret it. These are people you're going to have to live around. Good fences make good neighbors.
Just my 1 and a half cents.
...oh and
welcome-byc.gif

We've had one chicken killed by our retriever. He was retrieving and while I was sad that he killed my FAVORITE hen, I really couldn't blame him. Somehow, the gate got left open and the chicks saw green grass..and before we knew it...ut oh! It wasn't the dog's fault, it was our fault for not shutting the gate properly.

I am sorry you lost your roo and I do understand how you feel. Sadly, dog's kill chickens (99% of the time) because they are playing with them and their play is just too rough.

I would lock the dog up and reinforce the chickens' area. If you are going to free range the chickens, then re-home the dog immediately. Killing the dog will solve the problem but is it the dog's fault? Is it the rooster's fault? Is it your fault? It is no one's fault. Just rehome him and let the new owners or the shelter know he/she will kill chickens.

Good luck and I am sorry about your roo.
sad.png

I appreciate how angry and upset you feel. My dog, who I love very much, killed my favorite hen about a year ago. I came home and was furious, but after about an hour or so of reflection, I realized that it was my fault, not my dog's. I cried because I should have done a better job of protecting my girls from my dog, and I failed. I kick myself nearly every day when I go out to make sure they're all right. My point is this. It's OK to be mad and upset; just make sure you know who you're mad at. Don't kill a dog because you're mad at yourself. That won't prevent another dog from doing the exact same thing. I am sorry for and share in your loss.

You didn't mention if this was your own dog or a loose dog from elsewhere. Dogs do what they do, certainly, however, if it was a roaming dog, you need to take appropriate action. As was mentioned before, the best defense for your birds is fencing that a dog cannot penetrate, complete with dig barriers. I have that and if a dog manages to somehow get in anyway, it won't get out. My own dog, all 65 lbs of her, is petrified of the chickens, but I never let her in the same area with them anyway.

One time...and that is all that is allowed in my eyes. I will dispatch whatever kills one of my animals and dares to return to do it again.

Dogs, racoon, possum, have waited for all of them. I just cannot tolerate seeing any of my poor defenseless chickens ripped apart, especially a roo that is trying to protect his girls.

I don't like to kill anything but will protect the things in my care that cannot protect themselves. And, YES, my chickens have two HUGE, fortified houses within a 5'chain link fence with hardware cloth along the whole bottom....and are closed in at night. But a few free range and roost in a tall tree, around which I put a 4' high band of aluminum.

Two days ago a possum killed a hen early in the morning when she came off the tree...she ran for her life and didn't make it.
hit.gif
Yesterday the possum became history.

I agree with Matty, why wait for the dog to return and kill again.If it were my roo or hen, there would be no next time for the dog in question.
As far as" this is what dogs do " thats alot of bull bunk. This is what some dogs do, usaully owned by people who don't take responsibilty for there animals.Many dogs do not kill chickens, even when given a perfect oppurtunity.
If i were Matty, i'd just be very descrete about taking care of business.Theres no need for conflict with dogs owner, just SSS.....

Back
Top Bottom