Dog Shot For Killing chickens Article

I would hurt a strange dog that attacked my chickens. Yes, I would kill one, I have been attacked by a dog before, it is not fun getting ripped up.
If it attacked me then, it will get a lesson it will learn forever!

If one attacked me, it couldn't remember the lesson; because it'd be dead

Hmm you know I always feel like this isn't as cut and dried as "something's harassing my animals, shoot it!". I completely agree that it is well within a persons rights and have never criticized others for it but personally my initial reaction would not be to shoot a dog chasing my chickens.

It's not that I don't believe in protecting my livestock. I have shot bear, mink, raccoon, etc., that were killing or had killed my birds. However, a dog in my mind is a different story. It has the capability to be taught not to come back and do it again.

If I were to look out the window and see a strange dog chasing my birds I would probably start yelling at it. Followed by loading a shot gun and heading outside to again call/yell at it. Now in my mind four things could happen at this point. The dog will either come to me, ignore me and continue to chase/attack, come at me aggressively or run away.

Obviously if it came at me aggressively it would be shot. If it runs away, well there isn't much I can do about that, reinforce fence maybe. (This has happened and neither time did the dogs return). Ignoring could become tricky. I would probably approach the dog with gun at the ready and hope it didn't come to that. If the dog came to me it would depend on their attitude and whether they had their owners contact info on them. Call it's owners with a serious warning, drop it in its yard with a spent shell and a note on its collar or call animal control....oh wait or in the one case, he turned out to have been dumped soooooo we kept him, named him, fed him and love him.

I have had dogs attack my birds, the one I kept was one of them. However myself or my other dog have always intervened and have not lost a single bird to a dog. I would understand if my dogs were killed for killing livestock. But I would be heartbroken and personally would avoid doing so to another persons pet if possible.

I don't feel that others are wrong for shooting first. It's just not my personal first reaction.

Back
Top Bottom