Dogs & chics? Flock dog?

loriensmom

Hatching
12 Years
May 21, 2007
Being in the country, it's good to have a dog around. I know dogs can do in a chicken, but aren't there good flock dogs to get? Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance for the words of wisdom!!!
big_smile.png

frow.gif
Welcome to BYC!!

I can't speak from experience, but I have been reading these forums for several years and the most common flock dog I've seen is the Great Pyrenees. They are flock protectors by nature and when raised with the birds and given proper training are wonderful.

My Miniature Schnauzer mutt thing is the bottom of the pecking order.
She does pretty well with the girls, but once got in a tussle with my buff orpington hen (bottom of chicken's pecking order).

It's pretty amazing that they all get along since scruffy is a vermin hunter!

I suggest you keep the dogs out of the chicken yard. Even the best dog can do a job on chickens without even trying. Also, dogs will eat chicken poop, and that is just gross. Let them guard the chickens from the other side of a good fence.

Rufus

I think any dog can learn not to hurt the chickens if you train them when thy're small. I have a Bloodhound (not generally considered the smartest dog in the world), and a Lab/Chow mix that have both learned, with a little help, that the chickens aren't to be bothered. Also my brother has a Border Collie that he put in his chickens run at night to keep out the varmints, but I don't know how he would do with them if he was in there unsupervised during the day.

I have a border collie who is inside with a house silkie all the time, and he always goes with me to take care of the outside chickens. He knows those chickens are mine and he is not to hurt them. We also got him when he was 3 months old and the silkie wooped his nose a couple of times.
lol.png
I also think it helps to raise them from very small with chickens. Gail

I disagree about the husky. My husky/lab mix is the best with all of our animals. She understands commands beyond basic dog stuff, for example, 'bring 'em home', 'left', 'right', 'find -pet name here-'. You do have to watch huskies though - they think they know best, so you have to be a strong leader. (This is my first dog, so I had to work on the leader thing - a lot) So, I recommend getting a dog from the working dog class that will not have a tendency to eat the animals, like border collies - very good, small, smart and fast learners. Your dog, regardless of the breed, will need work. You will need to teach him/her not to harm the animals and only to heard/protect them. The main thing: you're the leader and the chickens are yours, not his/hers. You might contact your local trainer club for some info on training a working dog.

i have 2 labs which are very good with them but i wouldnt trust them on their own with them as there allways sneaking food or something of the kitchen tops when im not looking but would never do it while im there

Back
Top Bottom