Dogs & chics? Flock dog?

I think most any dog breed will do good with chicken except for bird dogs.
I have a German Shepard, Lab, Chow mix that just loves my hens. It depends on how the dog was raised around them when he was young.

I have a Cairn Terrier thats 7.. we adopted him in Dayton Ohio when he was about 4...
He had never even seen a chicken that I know of.. but he has never bothered them and they free range all day.. they walk up and take food away from him and he will just turn around and go get more.. he lets the cats push him around..but hes a great little protector.. The Lab we had I would not have trusted with them... I think its just about dogs personality...

I"ve said it once, I'll say it again-

MOST dogs will do well with chickens IF and I'll repeat IF the owner takes the time to train it.

Hunting dogs, bird dogs, cow dogs, etc.....all can be trained. My labs were trained to duck and pheasant hunt and both leave my chickens and ducks alone---and yes, they still fetch the ducks I shoot (well, coco is retired at age 13.5).

I will agree that pyranese were bred to protect herd animals (including chickens)...however they tend to need lots of space and bark all the time. Every breed has it's pros and cons...and yes even a pyranese will take some training.

So for me, it's find a dog that works for you.....then before you actually bring it home decide on how much training you're willing to do. It's time consuming, but done right- it will eventually be just "upkeep training time".

Some tips are:
1. CONISTENCY IN TRAINING AND FOLLOW THROUGH IS MOST IMPORTANT....do not let your dog get away with anything just because you're tired---this is the beginning of the end!
2. besides basic comands, teach the command "leave it"
3. FROM DAY ONE- take your dog to do chicken chores with you. Put it on a leash, so you have the dog in control at all times (tie it to yourself if need be). Be firm in your comands ("NO", or "LEAVE IT").
4. Praise the dog for GOOD behavior (for example, ignoring the chickens as they walk by)
5. The WHOLE FAMILY has to be on board
6. Even once they get it....continue to praise for good behavior---for the rest of their lives.
7. This process more easily taught to puppies(under 1year old) than adult dogs, but both are doable. Adult dogs with good basic training are easier than adult dogs with little to no training.

GOOD LUCK
Sandra

I agree training most dogs is very important.. however.. my dog wasnt trained for anything except to stand up on his back legs to get a treat, to sit before I put his food on the floor and house broke.. other than that he does what he wants too.. he still doesnt bother any animal here.. hes just a mild mannered dog.. its his personality...

I disagree...Blue heelers have worked great for me. My DH and I have a blue heeler that is trained for bird hunting, rabbit hunting, and he also catches a mouse on occasion. Even though he loves hunting birds and other small animals, he keeps a close eye on the chickens. Last week in fact he scared off a fox that looked a little hungry for chicken. I believe it's all how you train the dog and not what breed.
big_smile.png

I have a BullMastiff...he could care less about the chickens. I am 100% sure he would lay there and watch something eat my chickens, but at least he doesn't bother them except he did lick them a few times when I first got them.

Back
Top Bottom