Doing Fecal Floats at Home

Pics
Yay! Got it working!
ya.gif
New fecals will be performed today/night with pics! Boy, I hope I didn't just jinx myself...
fl.gif

@zeppley, the poops in your previous post don't look normal to me. One avian vet told me that foamy/frothy poops usually meant a protozoa, but some people on BYC have reported that their birds had worms when they had foamy poop. Just yesterday I saw a rooster poop that foamy stuff, so will try to catch him and maybe treat him with Corid and fenbendazole.

Question... Have you had a necropsy done on any of them?

-Kathy

My state doesn't offer low cost necropsies so it's DIY.

I should have done necropsies but didn't...too tired and dejected.

As for saving for later, DH would find the bodies in the frig.

hide.gif

I promise I'll buck up for the next one and do it.

With paccmanranch's suggestions, I hope to find out what they have.

My state doesn't offer low cost necropsies so it's DIY.

I should have done necropsies but didn't...too tired and dejected.

As for saving for later, DH would find the bodies in the frig.

hide.gif

I promise I'll buck up for the next one and do it.

With paccmanranch's suggestions, I hope to find out what they have.
Check with Maryland, I think they offer low cost out of state necropsies.

-Kathy

Well, lets see if it is working...

Nope, file too large, excedes 10 MB...

I have done three slides so far today, the Peach pen was clean, the Spaulding BS had two Cecal eggs and five Cocci, and the chickens had only a few cecal worms, nothing else.

No wonder I don't have a web site.
he.gif

Well, lets see if it is working...

Nope, file too large, excedes 10 MB...

I have done three slides so far today, the Peach pen was clean, the Spaulding BS had two Cecal eggs and five Cocci, and the chickens had only a few cecal worms, nothing else.

No wonder I don't have a web site.
he.gif
You can email it to me and I'll resize it for you.

-Kathy

You can email it to me and I'll resize it for you.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy, I'll see if I can. Short on time today and this weekend. We spent a lot of time on-line with the tech help, I don't think that the camera software is compatible with Windows 10.
he.gif

Interesting results from yesterday, I did nine FF's and found some very different results from pen to pen. Most of the pens were absolutely clean, no worm eggs or cocci. One slide had two Cecal eggs and five cocci, another had five cecal eggs and no cocci, and another pen had 35 cecal eggs, only one slide showed cocci only, about ten if I remember right. The free range chickens had a few cecal worm eggs only.

My process this time was a bit different as I would use paper cups to mix the sample with Fecasol then strain through a tea strainer into the centrifuge tube. Spin for 12 to 15 minutes, top off the tube and set the cover glass on and wait for five minutes.

The use of the tea strainer made the slide very easy to read, but also made me wonder if I was not getting false negatives. The last two I did without the strainer, one of those was clear and the other was the one I found cocci only.

My vet as told me before that it is normal to find a couple of eggs and to not worry about it. My question is what is the economic threshold? How many does it take to bring concern and signal time to do something? I feel like the pen with the 35 cecal worms is in much need of treatment, but what about the pen with only five cecal, or the one with ten or so cocci?

My main takeaway is that I need to keep better notes and maintain records so I can reference the results.

Back
Top Bottom